Alcohol stove???

How will they work with "EverClear" or "191"?....No sense carrying in the extra weight of ethanol or methanol if the stove keeps blowing out....This way at least you will have a way to drown your sorrows!

I got the bug for these too. Expermented alot. Some of the best I used were from redbull cans. They are small in diameter, which keeps alot of the heat under the cup or pot, thus using more of the flame to heat from the bottom as opposed to the sides. I bought a med size titanium cup at rei. It has a lid and I can put my stove, a 3oz bottle of alcohol, lighter, homemade aluminum wire stand, packet of cocoa, packet of soup and a piece of aluminum foil (unfold and make into windscreen). Weighs next to nothing and can warm up a cold body or help you survive an unexpected stay overnight.

Last edited:
Finally tried it on the field.
After all the process of doing research about alcohol stoves, and building some of them, I got to finally try them out. I went for a predator hunt and goose hunt in northern Mexico, it was around 50ºF, and I prepared breakfast with my little stove. I used pure methanol, 40ml in the stove and lasted long enough for the test and cooking.:) I build a windscreen that didnt work so ended putting a cooler and some boxes as seats as a wind protection device (it wasnt backpacking I know, but it was a field test), I made scrambled eggs with sausage in less than 8 minutes.
IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

My friends (guys in the picture) enjoyed breakfast, and I was pleased with the stoves.
The ideal test would have been to boil water and measure the boiling time, but I guess that if I can cook with them, they work!!!
What type of aluminum foil can I get to build a good windscreen, regular aluminum foil wont make it because it falls around and breaks very easily, does anyone know where can I get thick aluminum foil for a windscreen? and what type: brand or name?
Thanks!!!

I found the aluminum used in the throw away turkey baking pans to be the correct weight. 3 or 4 " high, enough to cover the flame but still able to get to the pot. Glad its working out for you,,,,,,,,,a.b

allan b,
Thanks for the tip, that is an easy one to do. Sounds great. Thanks.
And Welcome to LRH, I am sure you will enjoy it a lot, I do, great tips, and a lot of stuff to learn.

Great stoves. I played with bunch of designs and found that the best for me was the simple one. Tomato juice can with a little fiberglass insulation and 1/4" hardware cloth over the fiberglass. Cut about 1" high and fold edges to hold fiberglass. The important part is the windscreen/cup holder. Send me a private reply if you want pictures. Alcohol is slower, and likes small quantities (less than 2 cups at a time). It also stinks if you're cooking inside the tent. It is so light, I carry a cup and stove on cold hunts and have hot chocolate when I get cold. Entire cooking kit weighs less than 6 oz. including alcohol. The stove weighs less than an ounce.

mnoland30
Please help us all out, and post the pics in this thread, that way we can all get great advice from you, and learn some more, and be more efficient when outdoors backpack hunting.

I bought one off ebay instead of making one because it was cheap and came with a tupperware carrying case. It is called the rivet stove and has side jets so you can set your pot right on top if it without needing a holder. It boils my .7L Snow peak cup full of water in 7 minutes. I did have to fill it nearly to the jet hole with HEET to keep from running out of fuel in that time, probably 1.5-2oz of fuel as my best estimate. I haven't used it to much yet.

I bought a can of Tuna. Ate the tuna. I now use the empty can. I dig a little hole, fill the can with denatured alcohol, stack some rocks around it, then use it to boil water. I've used the same can for about two years now. It fits in my boiling pot nicely. I can cook 4 to 6 meals on a 16 oz. bottle.

HUAINAMACHERO I'd be happy to post a picture, but can't quite figure out how to. I clicked the icon for add a photo (seemed straightforward up to there) and it asked me for my http/www. Don't know how to store my photo anywhere but on my computer. Searched the website for directions and found none.

I'm sorry to be so slow in replying, but I've been down in S. NM on a Barbary sheep hunt and FREEZING my posterior. Minus 10 degrees and 40 mph wind. The Montana boys (and I) didn't bring our woodstoves, so we ran low on propane. Even the propane barely worked at those temps. It never gets that cold down there. Seldom freezes. My diesel gelled and Jeep wouldn't start, so were there for duration. My buddy's truck got ice crystals in the air filter and overheated and shut down. Glad it finally warmed up a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts