Alcohol stove???

shwpst
I came up with an idea. I listed it on Craigslist Albuquerque and used thier URL address. See if it works.

CIMG0033.jpg
Here's the alcohol stove. Next photos are from Barbary Sheep hunt in S. NM during short ice age.
CIMG0952.jpg
In front of a cave entrance (rabbit sized) with warm, moist air freezing on the juniper.
CIMG0950.jpg
It was too cold for this rabbit to run.
CIMG0947.jpg
Notice ice on propane and insulated water jug. Never got above 20 in tent for 3 days. Next time I'll take the wood stove. Propane works pretty well until it gets below zero. And we didn't have enough propane to run it all the time.
CIMG0946.jpg
Diesel Jeep Liberty and wall tent.
CIMG0945.jpg
Montana hunters. They didn't bring their wood stove either. They stayed in motel in town for two nights.
rvs

Last edited:
mnoland30
To post a pic do the next: open an account in Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket, upload your pictures there, then do a reply and open the add a photo icon, and copy there the direct address of your picture, and thats it.
Hope this helps. Thanks for the your effort of helping out in this post.
Maybe after your stove picture you could share some other pics of your last hunt in S. NM.

HUAINAMACHERO, thanks for the help. This is a difficult site to figure out, but worth the trouble. I did as suggested and edited one of my prior posts (rather than add yet another post). I thought it would just add the url, but it put the pictures. I added the Barbary sheep hunt pictures from the first week in February. I'm thinking about going down this weekend and trying one more time. My knee is still sore from the last trip, but I think I'm up to it. It was over 70 degrees here Saturday, so the weather should be hot down there. Mike.

I use the Thru Hiker sold by end2end that was posted on the first page. Works great and in 32 degree weather boils 16oz of water in about 7min. I like the jet boils and Msrs lot better if weight is not and issue but if I am going to be out for a while the burner/Ti pot/wind shield/ Ti spork and handles are all under 10oz.

I played with several designs, including a store bought one, and mine is much easier. Just fill it and light it. No hassle with an extra saucer to add fuel to start it. Also, if mine gets stepped on, just bend it back out and you're good to go. I can't tell the difference in efficiency, although the little blue jets sure look cool. By the time you get yours burning efficiently, my water is already warm. Gas is more efficient than alcohol, so for some trips I still take my Whisper Lite or Pocket Rocket. But, I took a bad can of gas once for the Rocket. Fortunately, my buddy took his
separator.gif
alcohol stove. I've even used the Sierra Stove. It just uses a small battery to fan your twigs. Works, but is more trouble. Don't have to carry any fuel. I modified mine with titanium cup and lithium battery to get it down around 8 oz. Not bad for a week long trip. Definitely light, but I hate black pots and having to throw twigs on every two minutes.

For a hunting spike camp in moderate weather, you can't beat alcohol.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.