Alaskan weather?????

Brent

fcaba487.jpg

fcaba36a.jpg

How do ya like our winter here so far!!!
confused.gif
confused.gif
40 some degrees out for **** near a week now, it was 50 for a couple days!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
Now you see why I have wheelers and NOT snomachines anymore! It gets more like this every year...

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Brent,

If it's any consolation, the weather down here in SE Arizona sucks lately too. The last couple of weeks it's been in the upper 70's to low 80's. This week, mid to low 60's, and this afternoon it rained.

That may not sound bad to you, but my body is adjusted for the Sonoran Desert. I got home a few minutes ago, hung up my coat and replaced it with a heavy sweatshirt. I'm still shivering.

To top it off, the snow level is dropping to 4000', and I'm at 4,200.

This sucks.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
Too funny...I'd be roastin my *** off if I was there with you!!
grin.gif

I'd be in just my shorts!!

We've had 2-3 inches on the ground about three times but didn't last long at all each time. The glacier is just up the valley about 25 miles but ironically the south wind comes over the top through there and it's always a warm wind, usually that's why our snow stays pretty low right in this somewhat sheltered spot. Around the corner of that mountain in the bottom pic, the wind comes from the north and it hits the city of Palmer, Wasilla and Anchorage real bad. Over here just a few miles we escape all of that COOOOOOOOOLD north wind completely. It could be blowin 50mph over there and it's dead calm here, thank God for TALL mountains.

Want to barrow a sweater, I don't really need them up here right now.
grin.gif
grin.gif

I took those last night, I'm on Knik about five miles past the bridge and beyond Jim Creek. The first pic is looking back tward Anchorage, the other is looking basically to where Sutton is on the other side of the range there.

We were up by the glacier the other day and the tons of sheep are always down real low right on the other side of Wolf Point, about 100-200ft or so. I'll have to get a pic or two next time I'm up there. Never really have because they're just always there I guess.

You ever come out this way 4-wheeling or hunting Mike? We'll have to hook up some time and do it?

I hope it freezes out again soon, not too cold though, the lakes and stuff have a foot of overflow and melt off on them and it's so nice to get around to places you can't all summer running from one to the other and such on the ice. Alaska really opens up when stuff freezes over for a while.
smile.gif
I'm waiting for the wind to completely quit so I can shoot some more steel down there without loosin my hat.
smile.gif

[ 02-07-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

So Brent with all those sheep running around up there what does a sheep hunt cost?

Talk about crazy weather one day its upper 70's the next 40-50's here.

Been trying to convince my wife that we need to move up that way! As usual when I'm watching something about AK they show all types of weather. So I call her to see all the lush greenery, by the time she gets there to see they are showing icebergs and rivers of ice
frown.gif

So I guess I'll never make the last frontier.

Texas,

Here's your chance to show her the real story with these pics! A picture's worth a 1000 words, these ones here might swing her.

Oh and trust me, those nice rams you dream of, they's waaaaaaaaay up there at bino elevation only. Only the ones that are safe come down to be pet!! We cought a few a mile or so out on the river bar once last year and this January as well. Two different areas, one up there where I said they hang out and January they were pretty cloase to where I took these pics from. Highly unusual.

$85-license, $425-Tag fee, here's the hitch, maybe....you need a licensed guide, or a relative with you for sheep, grizz($500) or goat($300).

I'll have to give my buddy Walter who has a place in Texas that he's going to get cold if he goes back now!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
He's always telling me how the weather is nicer down there, and warm too. I couldn't stand the heat. My wife lived down there for a while.

Does tuck driving brothers count?
grin.gif

Tell Walter the Mountain Home, Tx has snow as of 8p.m. They say San Antonio should get a light freeze with sleet for saturday and be back to low 70's by sunday afternoon.
tongue.gif

A ford with a chey engine huh, I figured you to be a DODGE DIESEL MAN!

Its alright I have an 82 Bronco that I bought for my son.

Does tuck driving brothers count?
grin.gif

Tell Walter the Mountain Home, Tx has snow as of 8p.m. They say San Antonio should get a light freeze with sleet for saturday and be back to low 70's by sunday afternoon.
tongue.gif

A ford with a chey engine huh, I figured you to be a DODGE DIESEL MAN!

Its alright I have an 82 Bronco that I bought for my son.

I don't see and Palm Tree sprouts in your pictures so don't throw away your winter cloths just yet!

Texas,

Dodge?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
Funny! Naaa they're alright I guess, just has to have the new 500ci in it for me. Fords new smaller Powerstroke is pretty hard to beat if you look at it close. More powa, more betta...
wink.gif

I'll tell Walt about the weather there.
grin.gif

I'll look in the regs for the truck drivin brotha clause, they might let ya have two!
grin.gif

Dave,

Palm trees, that will be just about 5 more years at the rate we're going I figure, I think they've started rooting already but just havn't made it up above the brush yet.
grin.gif

Brent,

I dont have a four wheeler, but I spend alot of time out there in my pick up. I dont really hunt out that way but that is where I shoot long range. Past Jim creek that is. I hunt sheep between Lazy mtn and King mtn mostly. I took a small full curl out of there last season. A 7 year old 8/8 on the right and 7/8 on the left. But it was my first full curl so I didnt get picky. At 763 yards he was also my first long range trophy. I have bagged several sheep down in the Wrangells in the any sheep area, now it is ram only, but not full curl. But most the rams get shot long before they reach there potential and the odds at least for me of getting a nice ram are as good or better hunting close to home where rams are always coming into legal harvesting size every year. Is that where you usually shoot long range, at Knik?

I shoot on the Knik bar too. Call me sometime (7452224) and I'll show you my favorite spot.

You'll have to go with me to the glacier and through all the lakes when it freezes back up. I have to rebuild the water pump on one of my Polaris 6x6's and I'll have an extra one you could drive.

I have just been waiting on the weather to cooperate or I'd be out shooting.

Give me a call.

Well here's pics of or fun trip today, that's poor Sam standing on the seat and me on the right loading gear back in my machine after the rotten ice on this beaver pond broke out from under us. Sam fell through first and Eric on the left was in between us and stopped, when I stopped the right side of my machine fell through to the bottom and I was in upto my nuts trying to keep it from rolling upside down! You can see the water line on my tailgate. Eric turned around and drove back by me and fell through at my 8 O'clock. He was luck and didn't take on much water and wasn't trapped with ice all around him either. Once my brother Derrick hooked up his winch cable to my hitch I could let go of the bars and it wouldn't roll over. I was able to bust down the ice under my left side and to my rear then level out the machine, under water of course. Sams rolled on it's side when he got off. We were able to winch him up through the trees on the right where Brenda is standing in the woods. Everyone else was in the woods on the trail where we should have been. Our fearless leader "SAM" is draining his oil and flushing his motor tonight. He had to get towed back. I was lucky and pulled the plug, blow the water out, drained the belt case and wa up and running. No water in the oil for me, although my air filter was soaked and had injested some water. It's time to change the oil anyway. We'll wait till it freezes again.
grin.gif

fca887e3.jpg

Barbie started a fire when she saw what was going down, so all 9 of us were able to get warmed up and dryed out best we could, Sam, he got all our spare dry clothes for the trip back. It's always nice to have plenty of help along and really sucks when you don't. Time to hit the trail again...

fca87baf.jpg

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.