Alaskan Guide Rifle

rh300..love your rifle and this cartridge from rbros is very intriguing..might have to speak with travis about building one on a chad dixon blueprinted winchester classic action.just a little ****ed that you might of cost me some funds.lol !!!..good luck with your guiding and please keep us updated on how it all works out..ps.to all that would use a shotgun and slugs on mean nasty big bears.dont!!! bad idea..

rh300..love your rifle and this cartridge from rbros is very intriguing..might have to speak with travis about building one on a chad dixon blueprinted winchester classic action.just a little ****ed that you might of cost me some funds.lol !!!..good luck with your guiding and please keep us updated on how it all works out..ps.to all that would use a shotgun and slugs on mean nasty big bears.dont!!! bad idea..

Why wouldn't you use a 12 gauge slug? Just curious

because they are soft and dont deliver a lot of energy.check with any true expert guide and they will tell you not a good combo.phil shoemaker who knows as much or more than anyone who has ever guided and hunted the big bears has explained this to many.others who know there way around big bears will tell you the same.

Is it a true one power scope on the low end?

I tried several 1 to 4 or 6 power scopes before I found one that was actually a true one power low end, the difference was immediately visible.

Had it on a little 44mag revolving carbine, on one power you had a full, big, bright picture with BOTH eyes open, incredibly fast sight acquisition, incredibly fast.

I would think it would be a stellar choice for going in after something that may fight back and I hope that Zeiss is, may provide that extra 100th of a second that saves a life or two.

Personally, it sounded like you were in a great place to excuse yourself from other responsibilities and get a double rifle, would've sold about everything and ate Ramen to go that route myself. No scope, just the shallow v rear with a big ole brass or white dot front, no frills, just unforgiving death.

But it looks like you've got about 5200 ft/lbs of death being thrown out of that setup, hope to read about some animals taken with it.

Is it a true one power scope on the low end?

I tried several 1 to 4 or 6 power scopes before I found one that was actually a true one power low end, the difference was immediately visible.

Had it on a little 44mag revolving carbine, on one power you had a full, big, bright picture with BOTH eyes open, incredibly fast sight acquisition, incredibly fast.

I would think it would be a stellar choice for going in after something that may fight back and I hope that Zeiss is, may provide that extra 100th of a second that saves a life or two.

Personally, it sounded like you were in a great place to excuse yourself from other responsibilities and get a double rifle, would've sold about everything and ate Ramen to go that route myself. No scope, just the shallow v rear with a big ole brass or white dot front, no frills, just unforgiving death.

But it looks like you've got about 5200 ft/lbs of death being thrown out of that setup, hope to read about some animals taken with it.
It is about as good of a 1 power as I've ever looked through.
Double is not for me in this area.
A couple bear guys had them and got rid of them.
I'm confident in my choice.
In truth I hope I never have to use it in a defensive situation

I took a Brown Bear near dry Bay Alaska I was required to use a register guide. I used my Browning A bolt SS 375H&H Leupold 3-10 B&C with hand loaded 300 grn Swift A Frame, The guide was using a Ruger 375Ruger. I requested the guide to follow shot if the bear did not fall, The bear came out of the alders to the creeks edge range was 110 Yds, I aimed just behind the shoulders mid way and it was technically a bang flop since he fell forward into the river and never came up for air

Attachments

• Brown Bear.jpg
    Brown Bear.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
I took a Brown Bear near dry Bay Alaska I was required to use a register guide. I used my Browning A bolt SS 375H&H Leupold 3-10 B&C with hand loaded 300 grn Swift A Frame, The guide was using a Ruger 375Ruger. I requested the guide to follow shot if the bear did not fall, The bear came out of the alders to the creeks edge range was 110 Yds, I aimed just behind the shoulders mid way and it was technically a bang flop since he fell forward into the river and never came up for air
That is awesome , thanks for the rifle insight as well. Congrats

We pulled off a pretty good sport fishing season in spite of Covid. Crowds were light, like twenty years ago and lots of bears everywhere. Actually had our first DLP in over 20 years.
offer is still good, I should be in King Salmon when you finish up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.