Alaskan Guide Rifle

More than adequate to the task at hand.
Been talking to folks in King Salmon, more cold and snow then we've seen in years. Hopefully keep the bears in their holes until the season opens. I think they were out a month early last year.
Seems to be the trend statewide. Cold and more snow. Plus side is maybe it'll knock back the spruce beetles.

I don't know if you are referring I am using a AR or semi auto? I am not.

I'm sure he's not. I believe he's referring to the Ruger Guide Gun which has the Mauser style bolt, and is extremely reliable. It is available in a .375 Ruger cartridge. You might not be familiar with it. It has more energy from a 20" barrel than a .375 H&H does from a 24" barrel. So it has more knock down power and it is shorter and easier handling than a rifle chambered in the H&H.

Good luck on your search.

0D46E280-F2FA-4763-9168-FCB1090956A5.jpeg

Well here it is
My Guide rifle for Brown Bears
375 rbh built by Travis at RBROS rifles pushing a 331 grain Sledgehammer bullet 2660 fps from a 22 inch Proof Research barrel.
Rig weighs 8.6 lbs as pictured
Topped off with the Zeiss 1x6x24
Should do the job well.
9E411C6C-8495-40A4-87C5-E78A36A30E19.jpeg

Last edited:
CEA78D50-B197-40F7-8BBE-281ABAE82932.jpeg

sight in target 100 yards
Red circle 1st shot, adjust scope
Yellow circle 2 nd shot, adjust scope
Black circle 3rd and 4th shots

Last edited:
View attachment 176774
Well here it is
375 rbh built by Travis at RBROS rifles pushing a 331 grain Sledgehammer bullet 2660 fps
Should do the job well. View attachment 176775

JMO.....You made a very good choice! Ballistically, it is very similar to my lifelong choice of a hunting rifle.....except mine was far less custom, and within my budget! May it serve you well, for a very long time! memtb

Joe Want carried one for years.
Got to hear a story from a guide that worked with him about how even the 500 didn't stop one bear!
I went over to Joe's place with a coworker that went to school with him. I had a Brown bear permit in his area on Kodiak Island, and he offered to go over part of the area with me on my maps.
He lost part of a finger while trapping on Kodiak to a sow back in the days guiding for P & T.
He ended up trading his double in because he wouldn't keep it loaded while floating down the river. He walked out of the gun shop with a Ruger .416 Rigby and cash.
I chose to carry a Model 70 Super Express .458 and Jack Carters 400 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, with a Leupold 1.5x5 set up in Leupold QRW mounts & rings whenever someone was hunting with me. It's still holding up great.

View attachment 176774
Well here it is
375 rbh built by Travis at RBROS rifles pushing a 331 grain Sledgehammer bullet 2660 fps from a 22 inch Proof Research barrel.
Should do the job well. View attachment 176775
Rifle and set up should be sweet good luck and as a guide I know you hope you dont have to use it in an emergency but man does it feel good to know you have it just in case......

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts