Alaska Moose Hunt Berger 210vld

As the guy on ''Forged in Fire'' ''They will kill...."😆 Nice buff,and great first post!

This bullet terminal performance debate constantly raged on this forum 5-10 years ago. There was constantly posters with questions that would end up in disagreement. It sort of died down for a few years. Im gonna shoot what I feel like works best for me. It's just not worth my time and effort try to explain it to someone who is convinced otherwise.

This bullet terminal performance debate constantly raged on this forum 5-10 years ago. There was constantly posters with questions that would end up in disagreement. It sort of died down for a few years. Im gonna shoot what I feel like works best for me. It's just not worth my time and effort try to explain it to someone who is convinced otherwise.

Now THAT'S the bottom line!

You guys keep talking about hammers like they don't fragment - you guys need to look up the definition of the word fragment. Hammers fragment by design - they shed weight. So now they are being advertised as a dangerous game bullet against Grizzlies and Cape buffalo (that fragments) and an ELR bullet (with signifIcantly lower BCs than traditional LR bullets). I can't believe Berger and Hornady and Barnes are still in business....they are probably a great bullet for what they are, but you supporters try and make them something they are not...

Also, I don't remember seeing where the OP asked about better options - just experience with Bergers.

How did I miss this one PS?;)

You swear by a thin-jacketed, non-bonded, target bullet, yet you call a Hammer a "fragmenting bullet?" The hammer is designed to shed 3 petals and lose 70% of it's weight...then a plug of copper drives on to continue penetrating.

I am sure someone will come along and disagree with you. LOL

How did I miss this one PS?;)

You swear by a thin-jacketed, non-bonded, target bullet, yet you call a Hammer a "fragmenting bullet?" The hammer is designed to shed 3 petals and lose 70% of it's weight...then a plug of copper drives on to continue penetrating.
Retain 70% for Hammer Hunters and 80% to 90% for the Shock Hammers. (used to be Sledge Hammer)

I have never posted on this site, but I have taken 5 buffalo with the 447 gr Sledge Hammer in my 458 Lott. The farthest any traveled after being shot was about 30 yards. The one that charged was up hill and I could not get a good angle for a head shot. I shot the bull straight on in the chest as he was charging. He went down in 10 yards. I have used other brands of bullets with good results, but I now prefer the Hammer for dangerous game. I will be with 3 other hunters going after buffalo again this August. All 4 of us are using the Sledge Hammer bullets.
Thank you Sir! Looking forward to more buffalo stories.

Thank you Sir! Looking forward to more buffalo stories.
I should have included this pic in the previous post. This is the 447 gr after shedding the petals and busting through both shoulders of another buffalo.

Attachments

• 20190531_205800.jpg
    20190531_205800.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 114
I should have included this pic in the previous post. This is the 447 gr after shedding the petals and busting through both shoulders of another buffalo.

Predator Slayer,

Look at how that Hammer Bullet "DISINTEGRATED" after penetrating both shoulders of a Cape Buffalo....do you have any idea on how MASSIVE a Cape Buffalo is?? Have you ever seen one live?

Does anyone here that that a Berger of ANY caliber can penetrate both shoulders of a CB?

Yes thought I saw where Berger is in the process of making a large mono.Ive seen cape buff,ribs are about 1/2 '' thick by about 3'' wide. Seems like it was a post related to ELR

Last edited:
Yes thought I saw where Berger is in the process of making a large mono.Ive seen cape buff,ribs are about 1/2 '' thick by about 3'' wide. Seems like it was a post related to ELR
They are a solid mono not hunting, elr steel bangers. I have seen a video of a 300 gr Berger hitting and exiting the ribs on a cape buffalo but that's a whole different matter compared to a shoulder, I'm aggressive with what I'll shoot a Berger through but I'd Hammer most anything that has the ability to pulp you!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.