Alaska Dall Sheep 2010

Long Time Long Ranger

Here are some pictures I promised of my sheep. Walked right at 15 miles opening day and climbed 3500 feet elevation to get him. It was worth the walk. Rifle was Tikka T-3 Light with swaro 4-12x50 scope in 338 win mag shooting 185 grain Barnes TTSX at 3220 fps. Distance I think was 165 yards to the sheep. We spotted him the day before season and walked up to where he was opening day. Found him and his buddies bedded 600 yards across a canyon. Walked up and around the back side of the mountain coming out just above the sheep at 165 yards. Shot him bedded as the photograph shows him in his bed just before the shot. One of the forum members is doing the lifesize mount of him. He got two nice caribou on the caribou hunt after the sheep hunt.

030.jpg
[/IMG]

You've got a "picture assist PM" LTLR if Roy doesn't get you squared away. All Alaska critters must be posted!

I promised I would not disclose my friends hunting spot. He taped him when we got back to camp. I believe it was 36 1/2" on the curl and 28 1/2" on the tip to tip spread. Wasn't lucky on the draw but maybe next year. It wasn't a draw area.

LT
I was just interested in the Mountain Range ... It was General in Nature the Question.... I took mine this year in Big Timber Drainage .. Your turn..

AK

Thanks to all, Akrange, congratulations on your sheep also. I don't know the mountain range but it was about 50 miles from Denali National Park. Show us a picture of yours.

LT
I was just interested in the Mountain Range ... It was General in Nature the Question.... I took mine this year in Big Timber Drainage .. Your turn..

AK

Nice ram LTLR, and thanks for sharing the photos.

When people ask me where I shot an animal, I either tell them "in the heart", or "in Alaska". If they ask for additional clarification, I tell them Alaska is located within the United States of America. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.