Alaska Black Bear Caliber Choice?

frostop

I recently purchased a cabin in southeast Alaska, primary home in Idaho.
I want to put together either a TC Encore or Contender rifle for Blacktail deer and Black bear in the Southeast area and want to leave it at the cabin.
I own a Contender and an Encore but don't want to take the Encore up there and leave it there.
So my options are to purchase another Encore in say a .270 or 7-08 or pick up a new barrel for the Contender.
For the Contender Barrel I have narrowed it down to either 7-30 waters (which I have brass and reloading dies for) or possibly 35 rem, yes there are the jdj wildcats and others but really don't want another round that I would have to reload.
Obviously the range is going to be limited with either one. Yes the .270 or 7-08 would be the obvious choices but I have a wife and a safe full of firearms already. lol
Just thought it might be fun to pick some brains for opinions, let the games begin.

I recently purchased a cabin in southeast Alaska, primary home in Idaho.
I want to put together either a TC Encore or Contender rifle for Blacktail deer and Black bear in the Southeast area and want to leave it at the cabin.
I own a Contender and an Encore but don't want to take the Encore up there and leave it there.
So my options are to purchase another Encore in say a .270 or 7-08 or pick up a new barrel for the Contender.
For the Contender Barrel I have narrowed it down to either 7-30 waters (which I have brass and reloading dies for) or possibly 35 rem, yes there are the jdj wildcats and others but really don't want another round that I would have to reload.
Obviously the range is going to be limited with either one. Yes the .270 or 7-08 would be the obvious choices but I have a wife and a safe full of firearms already. lol
Just thought it might be fun to pick some brains for opinions, let the games begin.
My thoughts would be a Contender barrel in .308 Winny. Good bullet choices for loading and easily found factory rounds.

Those are good reply's but none of those rounds are available for the contender platform.
Contender is a single shot break open low pressure platform, I think the the .444 marlin is the largest that I have see available, but some companies don't offer it because of pressure.

Last edited:
Advice ranges from 243 Winchester to 458 Lott!
Let's get back to Alaska for a second.
1. Will you be hunting Brown bears or Moose? That would change the cartridge choice.
2. Suggestion to OP: If you are worried about guns being stolen from your cabin, meet your closest neighbor there and tell them your concerns. You will likely get good advice.
3. Then you will not have settle for a single shot TC, if you are no longer worried about theft.

Talk to neighbors first before you buy rifle.

Advice ranges from 243 Winchester to 458 Lott!
Let's get back to Alaska for a second.
1. Will you be hunting Brown bears or Moose? That would change the cartridge choice.
2. Suggestion to OP: If you are worried about guns being stolen from your cabin, meet your closest neighbor there and tell them your concerns. You will likely get good advice.
3. Then you will not have settle for a single shot TC, if you are no longer worried about theft.

Talk to neighbors first before you buy rifle.
He answered that. Blacktail and black bears in SE.

The 270win and the 7-08 both kill both of those fine at any ranges he can expect to hunt them in SE. 200 yards is a long shot down there for the habitat they live in.

I have a .35 Remington barrel for a Contender, and it is very accurate. It should be good for your needs in the banana belt section of AK. It doesn't hurt to have a muzzle brake on either. If you talk to your new neighbors and they live there year round, you might leave the Contender at their house or cabin. A heated home has less chance of rust.

Ol'Red, thank u for an informed answer.

The neighbor thing is a great idea, I've already made friends with a couple guys that may be willing to store the firearm.

Yeah ranges are probably going to be held to 200 and more likely much less.

Thanks to e everyone for the replies

Recent Posts