Alamo Precision?

I was told by a gentleman at Alamo precision that they make a thousand or more rifles a year that is a semi production rifle they can't begin to build with the attention to the very fine details of a true custom rifle like making sure the receiver threads are single point cut to be concentric with the bolt raceway ,the receiver lugs are trued ,and the receiver face is trued, the recoil lug is pinned, the bolt lugs are trued, the bolt face is trued, install M16 extractor if the customer requests it and side bolt release and bush the firing pin hole and turn down the firing pin, type of crown, muzzle brake
now the stock you start with a good fit and then stress free bedding where you can eliminate stress on the action now you need to fit the stock to the customer IE. length of pull finger grooves ajustable comb type of finish recoil pad

Buy a Defiance action and you don't have to do all that action hocus pocus...

great action so are bat machine ,stiller big horn and some others but as Gordy Gritter told me they all have some flaws so if you if you do all the work yourself you know exactly what you have I take great pride in my work

great action so are bat machine ,stiller big horn and some others but as Gordy Gritter told me they all have some flaws so if you if you do all the work yourself you know exactly what you have I take great pride in my work

Would you care to illuminate some of the shortcomings of the custom actions that you're aware of? I'm shopping Actions just now for a couple of builds. I'm not hung up on the price - I'm looking for performance and reliability.

Back to the topic posted by the OP, I have visited APR's shop numerous times and they were extremely helpful with getting me into my first custom rifle.

They have built me several rifles, none of which will shoot over .3" groups - several of which shoot in the .1's. With incredible attention to detail.

In addition to building accurate rifles, they have been a great source of knowledge in reloading, ballistics, long range shooting and helping me get the most out of my reloading.

My suggestion would be to do a bunch of research on parts you want, come up with the intended purpose of your build (hunting, prs, elr) then drop by the shop if you're local and get the process going.

My personal preference is to order all the parts myself (because I enjoy the process) then drop them off with APR. The longest I've waited for my build to be completed is 3 weeks if done that way. I don't know of any other shop that has this fast of a turn around, along with the level of accuracy you get with their rifles.

I know there are numerous gunsmiths out there now and I've had my share of bad experiences with a few - but I
I would highly recommend using APR!

I was told by a gentleman at Alamo precision that they make a thousand or more rifles a year that is a semi production rifle they can't begin to build with the attention to the very fine details of a true custom rifle like making sure the receiver threads are single point cut to be concentric with the bolt raceway ,the receiver lugs are trued ,and the receiver face is trued, the recoil lug is pinned, the bolt lugs are trued, the bolt face is trued, install M16 extractor if the customer requests it and side bolt release and bush the firing pin hole and turn down the firing pin, type of crown, muzzle brake
now the stock you start with a good fit and then stress free bedding where you can eliminate stress on the action now you need to fit the stock to the customer IE. length of pull finger grooves ajustable comb type of finish recoil pad

Interesting, I've had 3 build by APR to these specs that all shot to .5 moa to 600 yards repeatedly. When I say repeatedly, I mean cold bore dial and shoot a 6 inch gong at 600 then lay down a 3 shot group.

I did have two issues with APR which were taken care of quickly and beyond expectations.

The first build a 240 weebee, Robert found the barrel runout to be in spec but not to his liking. He said we could cut an inch from the end or he'd return the barrel to the mfg. I chose to get a new barrel.

The second was a 7stw that would group okay but with lots of vertical stringing. We worked together over the phone to resolve the issue until we were both certain it was the rifle and not me. He replaced the barrel with an upgrade even allowing me to make changes to the original build. Turn time was a week and it shot as expected.

I've had them build 5 customs and spin two barrels on savage actions in which I completed.

No complaints and I've learned a ton from dealing with them.

I have a 28 Nosler built by APR and it is by far my favorite rifle. I luckily live 20 mins from the shop and was able to drop in and talk to the guys there about my wish list. Did have a hiccup when it came to getting the stock due to McMillan having dipping issues, but made a last minute switch to get the project moving.
Can shoot 0.3 MOA all day long and I've stretched it out to a mile with amazing results. Weighs just over 9 lbs including the NF ATACR.

I would absolutely use these guys again.!

Attachments

• FB9AAB9D-2D53-4411-8871-51EE292A7572.jpeg
    FB9AAB9D-2D53-4411-8871-51EE292A7572.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 365
  • E835D23D-8192-426F-8F36-9BF27B117523.jpeg
    E835D23D-8192-426F-8F36-9BF27B117523.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 381
Whats the name of your company? Your comments here have made it clear I wouldn't want to support a company with attitude and approach such as yours.
what do don't like people who pay very close attention to detail and if you don't like what I said before maybe you should find something to do with your time like sewing

John264,
I typed up an initial response, but upon further reflection, figured it wouldn't do either of us any good. So let's try this. Nothing in your task list is foreign to us and most are daily activities(except finger grooves). Haha. I'm not sure you fully understand the staff, machinery or capabilities at our disposal. If you are ever in the Ft.Worth area, I'd invite you to come by the shop for a tour so you could see how we do in fact have all of the time we need with each and every rifle.

We take pride in our work, and do everything in our power to resolve those instances when something doesn't go right. As for "production" rifle quality, I feel that our list of happy customers and match wins-many on a national level-speak differently. I don't think we bare any resemblance to the picture you paint of our business. I'd simply ask that you come "see" exactly what we do before you start telling other people what you "think" we do.

Last edited:
what do don't like people who pay very close attention to detail and if you don't like what I said before maybe you should find something to do with your time like sewing
Impressive, when faced with your attitude turning people away you work to be a bigger a**. Not really the right way to gain customer's. Maybe you'll figure that out or maybe you'll just keep insulting people. Hopefully, for your sake, you can learn to work with folks instead of against them. best of luck. Oh, and welcome to the ignore list!

I just got my rifle back from APR. They were great to work with. A supplier issue led to a long wait for a barrel. They offered to swap and comp to a higher end barrel to fix the issue. They did not jerk me around or try to up sell me. The work is great on the rifle. They were worried about small details I hardly noticed or cared about on the rifle. The shop is a really good environment and they are willing to explain anything to you to make an informed purchase. I failed to notice the "assembly line" when I toured the shop. Overall I will be taking other rifles to them to be re-barreled.
IMG_20200626_162147~2.jpg

Last edited:
There ya go! I gotta wait for my back surgery to heal up before I can make it go bang. I have a bunch of old 178s and 208s loaded to burn through as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.