Alaknak tent

6.5x284norma

Not a backpack tent....but has anyone used one....pros and cons....weight is not an issue Will be using it off four wheeler or out of the pickup....looking at a Riley stove also ....

I owned and used one for a few years. Really nothing negative to say except that it is heavy.

Sold it and switched over to Kifaru shelters.

I think that is the same setup I had.

Lived a few miles north of you up Dry Creek Rd to Theisen (Antelope Ridge) but sadly moved to Missoula last year.

I have the Alaknak in the 12x20 and the Big Horn as well. I purchased the Alaknak for our family outings and the BIghorn for more hunting with just a few guys. After using both I prefer a couple things about the Alaknak over the Big Horn. First is the higher wall. It accommodates cots along the wall much better than the low wall Big Horn. You have to scoot the cots in the Big Horn away from the walls which takes up room in the interior. The second is the stove is located by the door in the Alaknak. I might just be partial to having it there for years of canvas wall tents, but in the Big Horn you have to carry the wood to the back and stack it there. The stove in the front by the door in the Alaknak allows you to place the wood in the vestibule. The Alaknak did very well in the snow and held up to 11 inches in one night without sagging the roof. It has a steep enough slope that the snow slid off with the stove going. The vestibule did not fair as well, but still held up to the snow without collapsing. I will be purchasing a 12x12 to replace the Big Horn this year.

I have the 12X20 Alaknak. I have used this tent for the past 2 years in the Big Horn Mountains. It has weathered high winds (30-40 mph), rain, sleet, and snow very well. I am very happy with it. I would recommend getting some 3 ft sections of rebar for staking down the guy lines. Without these, this tent has a large profile and can pull out short stakes in high wind. Also, get a vestibule and a floor liner.
I would also recommend a large wood burning stove. These tents have lots of ventalation and don't retain heat like a canvas tent.
This is a great truck camping tent.

Good Luck

I love mine but it is heavy I bought a 12 by 20 tarp for a good foot print with the vestibule. I wish the vestibule was a little more squared up to cook in. For the floor I have two 6x12 foot sections of astro turf that I roll out its pretty nice and put my stove on a piece of plywood. I plummed our stove with a propane log lighter so I can just throw some logs in and crank it up with the propane for a couple minutes and I don't need any kind of kindling.

I would say yes but we were also stuck with semi wet wood and snow our clothes were wet at the end of the day. I kept a towl dedicated to mop op the drops once the head was going and the condensation on the ceiling thawed out.

These tents will get condensation. A wood burning stove will eliminate this if you can keep the fire going through the night until you get up. Get a larger stove than you think you will need, fill it with wood, and choke it back an little so it will last longer and not make it too hot in the tent.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.