AK Moose, black bear hunt August 25th!!!

joshua99ta

so what you guys think? I've never done much traveling to hunt but a buddy of mine invited me on this hunt and I said sure. We'll be flying into Fairbanks and taking a float/bush plain somewhere around 200 miles west of Fairbanks.

I'm pretty excited. There was also some mention of wolf, wolverine and lynx....

I'm gunna go pick up a new rifle just for this little trip... I want a rather large caliber... think 375 H&H or something in that range. Not looking to spend an *** load on this rifle b/c of the lack of use it will see but I plan to eventually go to africa, so it will get used again. I'm sure I can deliver the shot that would be needed to put a moose down w/ a 25-06.... but I've never done much spot stalk hunting so I'm gunna opt for something a little larger.

Find out what kind of terrain you'll be hunting in and what kind shooting you might expect to be doing on game. There's nothing wrong with a 375 H & H for Alaska hunting but it might not be the best choice for where you are going hunting. I take a 375 H & H out hunting every year but I also take a 300 either a Wtby or RUM and this year I might be taking a 338-378 with me as well. I can take 3 rifles with me but not everyone that hunts in Alaska has the ability to take multiple rifles with them so let your buddy help you make a decision on what kind of shooting you'll be facing and make your choice based on that information.

Gus

Speedo; I live here in Fairbanks, I personally use a .375 h&h, If you are using some of Dan's Cutting Edge .375 320 grain bullets I do not think you would go wrong near or farrrr!

How did your moose/bear hunt turn out? I am planning an AK black bear hunt in the near future and looking for information on inland bears. I cant afford the SE coastal boat hunts. Also interested in wolves and/or other predators.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.