Air travel with a Kestrel

OLI62

I realize this question could be a long shot , but I figure I'll ask anyway. Anybody ever had a problem taking a Kestrel wind meter with them in their carry on when flying? I'm leaving out of the country for a hunt on Wednesday and can't decide if I should take my Kestrel in my carry on or just stick it in my checked baggage. Thanks

I have never had an issue with my Kestral, binos, or RF's in my carrry-on bag traveling to Canada. Unless they are locked in my gun case(no TSA locks), I worry about them being ripped off.

I carry all my optics, easily breakable in transit and high dollar stuff in a carry on pelican with no issues, I've been asked why I have that stuff with me and I tell them straight up and have had no additional questions. Kestrel, LRF, binos, spotting scope and rifle scope. Replace and retorque the scope and confirm zero and then take another confirmation shot at a rock or something at distance once I'm where I'm going. This prevents the hassle of having to try and find new equipment wherever I'm going and dealing with a drawn out claims process with the airlines if/when something is damaged. It adds having to bring torque wrenches but I believe you should be bringing those anyways. Added bonus is I HAVE to reconfirm zero wherever I'm going and am confident in my setup.

i fly with a kestrel in my carry on almost every time I fly. It's not a problem at all. Here or overseas. Pretty much as long as it's not any part of a gun or knife you are good to go.

Thank you Gents!

I have traveled before with my binocs and rangefinder but never with the Kestrel. All of the inconsistencies in rules and enforcement by TSA has had me absolutely bewildered.

62, never had a problem with optics/electronics in carry on. Just don't stick the Kestrel out the window!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.