Air Compressor - Piping for Gunsmithing Equipment

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We have been renovating out shop (seems like forever with my spinal cord injury). Getting ready to put some permanent Compressed Air Lines throughout the shop. Reloading area, Lathe/Mill/Drill/Saw area, and Cerakote Spray Booth & Blasing Station. Currently running rubber hoses and when putting more permanent lines in what is the best material to use? I looked at steel, but hard to work with and threading, PVC Scheduled 40 seems like a bad idea because of plastic break down. Looking at Copper. Type "L" is rated at 1,000psi and Type "M is 700 psi. Big difference in price. Our Compressor is a Quincy Two Stage, Four Cylinder, 5 HP, 60 Gallon and 175 psi. I Installed an After Cooler on the compressor between the compressor and tank with water separator/filter then have 60' of copper pipe in several 7' sections to act as a dryer with drains on each section. After that the air goes into an Advanced 3-in-1 compressed air dryer system features modes for pre-refrigeration, evaporation, and air and moisture separation.
Then I need to get the Filtered/Clean/Moisture Free air to the stations.
What is the piping you may be using?

Thanks
Len & Jill

Our truck repair shop is 2" iron pipe w/ 3/4" copper drops. 700 PSI should be fine on the copper. Why are you running at 175 PSI?
Thats MAX at 175 psi of the compressor. Probably won't go over 120 psi. Will be a lot lower when painting or just blowing off items with air. Blasting for cleaning to Cerakote and or Bead Blasting needs some pressure. Will be outside blasting of metal parts.

I like the idea of PVC because you can just glue it -easy and less expensive. Copper should last and not have a problem with "L" copper pipe. Expensive and a lot of Sweating.
I have seen some shops with PVC, but every place I look for Schedule 40 or 80 state "Not for use in compressed air or gasses".
I should have bought more "L" copper pipe two years ago. It's double now.

I just outfitted my shop with this. I'm really happy with it. https://www.rapidairproducts.com
Just looked at it.
INTERESTING!
Will have to do a cost comparison
EDIT
Price is comparable to "M" copper pipe - $1.80 ft Rapid 1/2" to $1.90 Copper "M".
Copper "L" is $2.60 ft.

Thanks much
Len & Jill.

Last edited: