AI prairie dog barrel

I would love to see how a 22-47 with a fast twist would go
3400 with an 80 grain vld, 3250 with a 90 vld, 3150, with a 95g smk. it will go faster, but the 80g bullets come apart around the 3450 mark. You may get a little more out of a eld, but the bergers are more consistent than the eld. These were the velocities I ran with the 3 22x47s I ran over the last 5 years. I have since switched to a 22BRA, it is being built right now, but am going to use a 77g RDF, this is purely a coyote gun, and the RDF seems to have the least tendencies to ruin hides, in a heavy .224 bullet.

A few years ago, I built a 22-243 with a 26" Shilen 1:8 ratchet rifled barrel, APA brake on a Savage SA. With 43.5gr of H4831sc I get 3240 fps with 88gr ELDm's which give me better results than the 90 Bergers. The gun is about 13 lbs and with the APA brake, I have no trouble spotting hits at any range. Like the original post, my goal was long PD shots that I could spot myself, not pink mist by the hundreds, and as such it is a dedicated gun, I don't shoot anything besides PDs and paper from a rest or tripod (its too heavy to carry anywhere) The gun is a pleasure to shoot. The cartridge is a simple necking down procedure, although I do turn necks. I use easy to find Winchester brass which is on its 4th cycle. When this barrel goes, I'd do another one without hesitation.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.