AG Alpine Hunter vs Adj Hunter.. Are adjustable risers worth the weight?

BuckeyeRifleman

Trying to lighten up my go to bolt gun, a Bighorn TL3. I ordered a prefit Proof carbon barrel for it, and while I had it disassembled I decided to weigh the MPA BA light chassis it was wearing... the BA lite had an advertised weight of 2.9 lbs. Not super light, but light enough. I was shocked to find it actually weighed 3.75 lbs! My total rifle was weighing 12.8 lbs without a bipod!

Either way, it was time for a lighter option. The chassis is getting sold. My goal for this rifle is under 12 lbs with a suppressor, ideally closer to 10. To me that's a good balance of shoot-ability and portability. My goal for this rifle isn't the lightest gun possible, I would go with a different action and scope altogether for that. But I want something light enough I can hump it around the west without wanting to kill myself at the end of the day and still be comfortable shooting distance.

I've settled on AG Composites for the stock, and the AG Alpine Hunter seemed like a good fit, at 31 oz (1.9 lbs) that's a significant weight savings. Total rifle weight would be down to 11.35 lbs. That said I have high cheek bones, and at the spec'ed stock height of .2in below bore I would need to build up the stock somehow to get a good cheek weld. However I do that will add some weight (triad tactical pad weighs 5oz)

That leaves the AG Adjustable Hunter as an option. A bit more pricey, but if I am already spending $600 another $150 is worth it for what I want. But at 38 oz (2.38 lbs) its noticeably heavier than the Alpine hunter. Significant? No. But enough its a consideration. Total rifle weight would be at 11.78 lbs.

Yeah I am probably overthinking this one, but with the money involved I want to make the right call.

Anyone with either stock care to comment? Are adjustable cheek risers worth the weight?

Thanks!

The weight is an important factor. You spent money on a proof barrel and a bunch of goodies. Finish the project the right way. 3#10 oz is a heavy stock. I'm not thrilled with my McMillan thumbhole that's 2#10oz. Can get many stocks that are 26-32 ounces.
You could add a cheek eez pad to help with your eye alignment.

The rifle still weighs 9lbs without a stock? that seems heavy for a proof barreled gun. Are you running a heavy scope and suppressor?

I have an AG Adjustable Hunter and have been very pleased with it. You have a tough decision on your hands. I'd go with fit and function over weight of stock and try to shave some ounces somewhere else.

You might check with AG Composites to see if they would do a small carbon fiber adjustable cheek option than weighs less on the Alpine Hunter. The real thin "non filled" type.

You might check out the Altitude stock at Mesa Precision, it's made by AG Composites and has a raised comb, not sure of the height compared to the Alpine Hunter but on my rifle it gives me a really nice cheek weld. I'm running a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 and low Hawkins hybrid rings. It's super light at advertised 25oz. Last I checked Red Hawk Rifles had some in stock for $575

You might check out the Altitude stock at Mesa Precision, it's made by AG Composites and has a raised comb, not sure of the height compared to the Alpine Hunter but on my rifle it gives me a really nice cheek weld. I'm running a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 and low Hawkins hybrid rings. It's super light at advertised 25oz. Last I checked Red Hawk Rifles had some in stock for $575

The comb height is very similar between the two.

The rifle still weighs 9lbs without a stock? that seems heavy for a proof barreled gun. Are you running a heavy scope and suppressor?

Yup running a Razor HD gen 1 5-20x and an Omega can. Barrel is a 22in proof sendero.

It's by no means a light rifle, but it's not meant to be. Trying to go as light as I can while still being a "precision" rifle. I could ditch the can and go with a different scope if I really wanted to cut weight.

As far as the topic at and I settled on the non adjustable alpine hunter after much thought today. I can use the triad tactical pad if I really need to raise the cheek weld, and once I have it set it's easy to take off for cleaning, etc. I've got a similar cheek rest on a lever gun and I find it very comfortable, stable, and like the padded surface. The triad will add slightly less weight, and offers functionality in storage of dope cards, etc. If I really need to cut weight I can just take it off, unlike the adjustable stock which is permanent. Last but not least a $50 pad vs a $150 increase in price.

Trying to lighten up my go to bolt gun, a Bighorn TL3. I ordered a prefit Proof carbon barrel for it, and while I had it disassembled I decided to weigh the MPA BA light chassis it was wearing... the BA lite had an advertised weight of 2.9 lbs. Not super light, but light enough. I was shocked to find it actually weighed 3.75 lbs! My total rifle was weighing 12.8 lbs without a bipod!

Either way, it was time for a lighter option. The chassis is getting sold. My goal for this rifle is under 12 lbs with a suppressor, ideally closer to 10. To me that's a good balance of shoot-ability and portability. My goal for this rifle isn't the lightest gun possible, I would go with a different action and scope altogether for that. But I want something light enough I can hump it around the west without wanting to kill myself at the end of the day and still be comfortable shooting distance.

I've settled on AG Composites for the stock, and the AG Alpine Hunter seemed like a good fit, at 31 oz (1.9 lbs) that's a significant weight savings. Total rifle weight would be down to 11.35 lbs. That said I have high cheek bones, and at the spec'ed stock height of .2in below bore I would need to build up the stock somehow to get a good cheek weld. However I do that will add some weight (triad tactical pad weighs 5oz)

That leaves the AG Adjustable Hunter as an option. A bit more pricey, but if I am already spending $600 another $150 is worth it for what I want. But at 38 oz (2.38 lbs) its noticeably heavier than the Alpine hunter. Significant? No. But enough its a consideration. Total rifle weight would be at 11.78 lbs.

Yeah I am probably overthinking this one, but with the money involved I want to make the right call.

Anyone with either stock care to comment? Are adjustable cheek risers worth the weight?

Thanks!
I was useing a AI and it was 22 1/2 lbs so I did a new rifle like yours this winter with a 28 inch proof carbon barrel. I did the ADJ cheek AG stock total weight was 8 1/2 lbs then scope and magazin total 11 1/4 lbs also did a sheep rifle for a loc man it came in with there cat stock at 6 1/2 lbs the two more men want the same set up with the AG stocks they are all good but get one that will fit your needs and the adj cheek pice to me is a must for long range hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.