Aftermarket Trigger for Model 70

Ingwe

Which aftermarket trigger do you fellas like for a M70?

I was looking at a Jewell but they seem to require fitting by a gunsmith.

What do you fellas like?

Grey Fox, were you able to install and adjust I t yourself??

I am assuming that you are not a gunsmith

Grey Fox, were you able to install and adjust I t yourself??

I am assuming that you are not a gunsmith

No, I'm not a gunsmith, but I have done quite a few trigger replacements with my various rifles over the years. The Timney I recently orderd for my Model 70 came protested and adjusted to 2.5#. I confirmed it and left it alone. I have adjusted them on other rifles and it's pretty easy. While there is an adjustment screw for properly aligning the tigger assembly to the receiver, I did not have to make any adjustments. If this is required, the included instructions are pretty easy to follow. It took me about 5 or ten minutes to do the installation and I'm very satisfied with the new trigger. I should have changed it earloer.. By the way, my rifle had the original Model 70 style trigger design. They are usually pretty good but the trigger on my rifle had a lot of creep.

For your Model 70, do you know which trigger you have in it? Is the rifle a New Haven based or SC based rifle? This will tell you which trigger is currently in the rifle if its still stock.

I have two NH and one SC based rifles, and two of the triggers have been worked on. My one NH rifle is at 2.5 lbs, and is a smooth and silky. I did some work on my SC trigger, and it is about 2 lbs 11 oz now. It is also smooth and silky now. Before it was heavy and had some creep to it.

Now, my second NH rifle still has the stock trigger as from the factory. It currently is around 5 lbs. In the near future I plan on working on it.

The aftermarket triggers are good, Timney and Jewell are really nice. The factory triggers can be made just as nice by someone that has worked on them. A trigger job by a good gunsmith is about half of what an aftermarket trigger usually is.

This is just some food for thought.

Good stuff to think about thanks.

I would like to get a Jewell but it doesn't seem to be a drop in.

What year was your model 70 mad in. In 2008 they came out with an enclosed trigger body called the MOA trigger. Timney is the only one who makes a replacement for that. Rifle basix makes one I would recommend for the old style. None of the replacement old style model 70 triggers are drop in. If you are not acceptionally mechanically and geometrically inclined, I suggest you take it to a smith and tell him what you want and let him handle it.

I bought the rifle new in 2003.

I guess that I can have a gunsmith do it if it's a bit comicated , since I also want to have a Tubbs Firing Pin and cocking piece installed.

If I have a gunsmith do it and am not concerned with easy installation then ,what trigger do you think is the best?

I have a CRPF Model 70 made in about 2001. I was able to significantly improve the factory trigger by replacing the short, stiff factory spring with a longer, weaker spring. I spent about $0.25 on the spring at the local hardware store, and then cut it down to the length I wanted. I ended up with a 2-2.5 lb pull. Set up that way, the trigger passed all of my safety tests and has been reliable.

Nothing wrong with replacing the Model 70 trigger. I was in a hurry and wanted to start load development. It works well enough that I'll probably leave it the way it is.

For a 2003 Model 70, you have the original type of trigger.

I think any of the three will work for you, as the Timney, Jewell and a tuned factory trigger are all good.

Also, how low do you want to go? This might also give some info on what trigger will work best for you.

For me, I like my hunting rifles to be between 2 and half lb and 3 lb pulls.

As for a gunsmith, as I noticed in one of your other posts that you are in the NYC area, you can check a few out in CT.

When I lived in Ct, I had this group do some work for me. He was very nice, willing to help and very busy. Per Google maps, it looks like he might have moved to a new place. It has been 10 years since I used him though, but I would again if I was close. He is also a Winchester authorized gunsmith.

Gunsmithing LTD
3 Lacey Place
Southport, Ct 06890
ph 203 254 0436

Black, I looked him up and he's only an hour from me so thanks!

I definitely want to go with a aftermarket rather than adj my factory trigger.
With that said, is the Jewell twice the trigger than the Timney? I am not worried about cost since I will only do it once.

By the way, its a 7mmRemMag and I set it for 2.5 lbs

I definitely want to go with a aftermarket rather than adj my factory trigger.
With that said, is the Jewell twice the trigger than the Timney?

You're making a mistake replacing an old style M70 trigger. The M70 trigger is the best hunting trigger made, a gunsmith that knows how to do one can easily make it 2.5 lbs. It's not a home trigger job though, someone who can stone it at the proper angle and time the safety is required, not all gunsmiths even know how to work on them. Mark Penrod in North Manchester IN does the best M70 triggers I know of, Lee Christenson in Medford WI is good too. You can ship your barreled action both ways and pay for the trigger job & still be under half the cost of an aftermarket trigger. I have several done by Penrod and a couple by Christenson, I also have several jewells. They're all at 2.5 lbs. on my hunting rifles except a couple of jewells on target rifles at 1 lb. The tuned M70 triggers are every bit as good as the jewells at 2.5 lbs and I trust them more for hunting because they're a more rugged design. I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for a factory remington trigger, or most other rifles for that matter, but old style M70 triggers are one of the best features of that action and they get fixed instead of replaced. They just don't come correctly tuned from the factory.

I would never go aftermarket on an old style M70 unless I wanted it in the ounces, then I'd only use a Jewell.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.