Aftermarket Rem 700 firing pin assemblies?

davkrat

I have a nearly 30 year old Remington 700 long action that I'm sad to admit spent years and years in a closet with the firing pin cocked. I have to assume the spring has taken quite a bit of set over the decades. I'm considering a PTG or Tubbs upgraded firing pin. Any experience with these? Do the lighter weights and stiffer springs really equate to accuracy improvements?

I had many of soft strikes and fail to fires with the tubbs kit. 12 in one match. Ill never use one again. Put the remington pin and spring back in and 11 of those same 12 went off. In a remington, the factory pin and spring is all i will use for now on.

I had many of soft strikes and fail to fires with the tubbs kit. 12 in one match. Ill never use one again. Put the remington pin and spring back in and 11 of those same 12 went off. In a remington, the factory pin and spring is all i will use for now on.

I just ordered a Tubbs for my M70 but I am having it installed by a well known gunsmith.

What do you think was the issue with your soft strikes?? Is it the system itself or improper installation??

Please don't be offended as I am only wondering because I just bought one:)

The pin was too light.
It had proper bolt face protrusion and the stiffer spring is supposed to overcome the difference in pin weight but it just couldnt consistently ignite the cci 200 primers.

The winchester may not be as succeptable to this issue as the 700, but looking at the primers it was obvious. The difference in pin weight is substantial.

Yep I shoot it the way it is. Just curious if anyone has seen a vast improvement by going to an aftermarket spring/pin. The only hang fires I've had have been with reduced loads and standard primers.

For a real world field gun is there much noticeable improvement. Growing up using the stock trigger I always had a tendency to pull shots to the right. I've notices that after installing a Jewel that my groups tend not to string out to the right as they did when I was younger. Part of that could be the fact I shoot more centerfire these days and am better about anticipating recoil. The significantly cleaner break and lower poundage of te Jewel helps as well. I'm just curious if any improvement in groups from the reduced lock time won't actually be so small that it would only benefit a high end bench gun. Taking a hunting rifle from 1.0 MOA down to 0.9 does mean as much as a bench gun going from 0.3 to 0.2.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.