after you get your new build done and loads developed

ig25

now what? 1/2" groups at 200yrds. and the build is over what do you do.
sell it and start a new build. Or go for 1/2" groups at 300?
this may sound wierd but i wasn't ready for this build to be over.
:rolleyes:
IMAG0409_zps6ef55e60.jpg

You could do what I used to do, grab a whole bunch of different bullets and try to make all of them shoot well. It was really fun to see how different bullets preferred different OAL's and even different primers and powders.

Now when I find a good load I like to just go shoot at a whole bunch of different targets in the field. Learning how to make first round hits on actual targets in the field was harder than I thought it would be. I had a rifle capable of shooting 3/4 MOA on a regular basis and it took me a lot of shells to learn to get consistent first round hits on MOA sized targets from 2-500 yards.

I guess if you have a bad case of tinkeritis, someone should be more than happy to buy a gun of proven accuracy and give you a good chunk of change to start another build.

Groups at 200 yards don't look like it's over to me, unless you built it to shoot at close range but being this is long range hunting I would assume your just getting ready to take it on out and get the ballistics ironed out for cold bore shooting, looks like your just getting started :D

Groups at 200 yards don't look like it's over to me, unless you built it to shoot at close range but being this is long range hunting I would assume your just getting ready to take it on out and get the ballistics ironed out for cold bore shooting, looks like your just getting started :D
and there is always a Delta Bravo that thinks 1/2" groups at 200 yards are a starting point :D

Originally Posted by bigngreen
and there is always a Delta Bravo that thinks 1/2" groups at 200 yards are a starting point :D

... and there's always a Sierra Alpha in a crowd :D:rolleyes::).

I aint never gonna be done!!! Freekin Berger keeps comming out with more and more new bullits...and most of em are in calibers I own. Just when I find "the perfect load" for a gun....POOF....THERE'S ANOTHER NEW BULLIT!!!! :D:D

Why-N-L don't they come up with somthing in 87 caliber....or 71 caliber...something I don't want to bother with?lightbulb

Thats a great group.. But whats your es ? with that load my 300 rum shoots about the same at 200 but the lowest i can seem to get my es to is 29 fps and that isn' t gona cut it at 600 or 800 yards.

I had my latest built for a purpose; to shoot long range marmots. A half mile was the first goal, 880 yards. That was exceeded and extended to over 1100, twice, on the first outing. There was a lot of shooting all summer before that first shot was ever fired at a live varmint, to get from nice little groups to the ability to make those first round hits. Fine tuning of my ballistic software came down to an adjustment of 10 fps.
I have now extended the goal to 3/4 mile, 1320 yards. Shooting last Saturday in a gusty and shifting 5 mph wind was pretty difficult to get closer that 1 MOA, until there was a lull, and a carefully squeezed shot landed on the left edge of a baseball sized rock at the 1380 yard mark. I may be discovering the capability of 180 gr. Berger VLD's in a 7 Rem Mag.
Sounds to me like there is a lot of research for you to do yet!
I will agree though, now that I have this rifle tuned and have exceeded the original goal, I am already thinking of the next one. That one is looking like a titanium action, Remington Sendero contour, HS precision stock, or perhaps a McMillan of some sort using the Edge technology.
A rifle that weighs no more than 10 lbs scoped, capable of 1K yard marmot accuracy, should make a good LR hunting rifle that is not too much to carry around.
First, I need to finish fine tuning an 8lb, scoped, 270 WSM and move it past the 600 yard mark I have been shooting at.... and I picked up this 454 Casull a couple weeks ago that I want to hunt elk with. That beast is going to take some work to master. I have this 22-250 that is going to need a barrel soon... something suitable to make a better longrange prairie dog gun than the current 14 twist is capable of.....

I aint never gonna be done!!! Freekin Berger keeps comming out with more and more new bullits...and most of em are in calibers I own. Just when I find "the perfect load" for a gun....POOF....THERE'S ANOTHER NEW BULLIT!!!! :D:D

yeah the 230 bergers will be my next load for the ultra.

Why-N-L don't they come up with somthing in 87 caliber....or 71 caliber...something I don't want to bother with?lightbulb

I had my latest built for a purpose; to shoot long range marmots. A half mile was the first goal, 880 yards. That was exceeded and extended to over 1100, twice, on the first outing. There was a lot of shooting all summer before that first shot was ever fired at a live varmint, to get from nice little groups to the ability to make those first round hits. Fine tuning of my ballistic software came down to an adjustment of 10 fps.
I have now extended the goal to 3/4 mile, 1320 yards. Shooting last Saturday in a gusty and shifting 5 mph wind was pretty difficult to get closer that 1 MOA, until there was a lull, and a carefully squeezed shot landed on the left edge of a baseball sized rock at the 1380 yard mark. I may be discovering the capability of 180 gr. Berger VLD's in a 7 Rem Mag.
Sounds to me like there is a lot of research for you to do yet!
I will agree though, now that I have this rifle tuned and have exceeded the original goal, I am already thinking of the next one. That one is looking like a titanium action, Remington Sendero contour, HS precision stock, or perhaps a McMillan of some sort using the Edge technology.
A rifle that weighs no more than 10 lbs scoped, capable of 1K yard marmot accuracy, should make a good LR hunting rifle that is not too much to carry around.
First, I need to finish fine tuning an 8lb, scoped, 270 WSM and move it past the 600 yard mark I have been shooting at.... and I picked up this 454 Casull a couple weeks ago that I want to hunt elk with. That beast is going to take some work to master. I have this 22-250 that is going to need a barrel soon... something suitable to make a better longrange prairie dog gun than the current 14 twist is capable of.....

i have got the AR shooting 1/4" groups (223)
my 22/250 likes 36 gr VG, 40 GR sierra's and 50 gr v-max with a 1x4 scope on it . it is a varmit killer
i was using a 357 gp100 for deer and hogs.
my next rebarrel will by my savage 116 in 243. i want it to 95's or bigger and it just will not do it. 55s yes but i want and 800 yarder out of it

For the 22-250 rebarrel I am considering a fast twist .22 cal, and using the 22-250 again, or going with a .243. I've had a few .24 cal rifles, and it is one of my favorites for varmints. The Berger hunting VLD's are shooting and performing so well in a couple of other rifles, that this is weighing heavily on my decision for another 24 cal and the available Berger HVLD's

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.