After Market Barrel

raysugar4567

What is everyone's opionion on the cheapest place I can get a 1-10 twist 30-34 inch bull barrel for my rifle. It's for a .300 Remington Ultra Mag. I don't want to spend 700 dollars from hart.

Depends on your definition of bull barrel and whether cut or buttoned.

However, most are right at $300 for 1.250 diameter and up to 28-30 inches depending on the mftr.

if you are wanting 1.350 and 34 inches it will cost you about another $100 or so depending on who.

Now that is for a tapered barrel normally. that build would be either a HV, LV or some would go with a PA taper.

So pick who you want and go to their website, not hard to figure out what it is going to cost.

My 338 Bartlein was 1.350 for 5 inches, tapered to 1.0 at 32" fluted and cost $565 so not sure how you come up with the $700 figure.

Now if you want a 2.00 blank then yes might run $500 or so up to 30 for the blank from anyone.

BH

Depends on your definition of bull barrel and whether cut or buttoned.

So pick who you want and go to their website, not hard to figure out what it is going to cost.

My 338 Bartlein was 1.350 for 5 inches, tapered to 1.0 at 32" fluted and cost $565 so not sure how you come up with the $700 figure.

BH
I think the OP is figuring buying a Hart Barrel and having them thread, chamber, crown it , fit to his action.

Er Shaw barrels are cheap, but I would look at Pac-nor barrels good prices and great customer service.

Do any of the companies make barrel's that are ready to thread into the 700 action? If I have my current barrel removed from my action and I buy a new one can I screw it right in or do I have to have threads cut into it so it Fits?

The diameter will be 1.25, havent decided if I want flutes or not. I want it to be between 30 to 34 inches long and I want it to be threaded to accept a muzzle break. I'm sure I want the 1.25 in diameter and it has to be at least 30 inches. I want a threaded muzzle break so I can take it off If I want.

Last edited:
raysugar, sounds like you've got a target set-up in mind (I wouldn't want to carry it any further than the bench!). If you're looking to purchase a "pre-threaded and chambered barrel and just 'screw it on' and get target accuracy, well,,,, I just don't know. That's not the way 'target rifles' are built. For best accuracy, have the barrel custom fitted by the barrel maker or gunsmith of your choice. Have the action 'trued'. Forget "drop in'. "Cheap" doesn't 'fit' with what you want to achive. That extra long barrel won't gain you a thing exept extra weight and stress to the barrel tenon/receiver connection, stay in the 28"/30" length max. There are limits to everything. $700 for what you have in mind is just a drop in the bucket! If done 'on the cheap' it will never be anything but a "wanna be".

Last edited:
raysugar, sounds like you've got a target set-up in mind (I wouldn't want to carry it any further than the bench!). If you're looking to purchase a "pre-threaded and chambered barrel and just 'screw it on' and get target accuracy, well,,,, I just don't know. That's not the way 'target rifles' are built. For best accuracy, have the barrel custom fitted by the barrel maker or gunsmith of your choice. Have the action 'trued'. Forget "drop in'. "Cheap" doesn't 'fit' with what you want to achive. That extra long barrel won't gain you a thing exept extra weight and stress to the barrel tenon/receiver connection, stay in the 28"/30" length max. There are limits to everything. $700 for what you have in mind is just a drop in the bucket! If done 'on the cheap' it will never be anything but a "wanna be".

Yeah, Your probably right, Do it right or don't do it all. I can send my barreled action to hart and have it rebarrelled for around 700. WIth the work being done plus a top quality barrel it's well worth it. They can also install a muzzle break as well.

there's an outfit that's called Bergara i think, or something like that. they make a threaded, chambered barrel that can be put on your 700 action in 2 minutes. it's set up like a Savage with a barrel nut. don't know what quality the barrel is but certainly a very economic option.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.