African Hunting Specials for LRH members

nyati1

Official LRH Sponsor
Hello Long Range Hunting Readers:

Our Company JD African Safaris LLC is a proud sponsor of Long Range Hunting. As a new advertiser we are pleased to offer some attractive hunts to LRH members.

2013 Cape Buffalo Special Package:

7 Day all inclusive (daily rates + trophy fees for 1 Cape Buffalo) $11,500 (1x1)
This special price includes PH and staff, equipment, all meals, accomodation, hunting licenses, skinning, field preparation of trophies and firearms permits pick up and drop off at Polokwane South Africa. It does not include airfare to South Africa, gratuities, taxidermy or return freight of trophies. Please contact us via PM or direct from our website for more details.

Other species available including some spectacular Kudu and Sable antelope.

Trophy quality and quantity is very good. Reduced rates available for multiple hunters- please inquire.:D

Dates Available: August (limited availability) and October-December 2013

Our website: www.jdafricansafaris.com

JD African Safaris Plains Game Package

Africa on a budget is possible!

7 days Safari in the beautiful Eastern Cape
1x1 hunting
$3920

Includes
Cape Kudu
Impala
Springbok
Duiker

Daily rates
Airport pickup and drop off at Port Elizabeth
Excellent accommodations
PH
Trackers
Skinners
All meals and drinks
Field preparation of trophies

Does not include:
Transportation to Africa
Taxidermy
Enroute accommodations before or after safari

Pm jd for further info, pictures and all discussions Africa

What size of Kudo are typical in your hunting areas? What style of hunting, ie, over water holes or spot and stock?

Hello and thanks for asking
In our areas there are two types of Kudu:
1. Cape Kudu which could run up to 40-45 inches
2. Greater Kudu which could run 45-60 inches (or even more if you are very lucky!)
We took a 61 inch kudu this year in one of our Zim camps

Let me know if you need more info. We have good ranches in South Africa and Namibia and excellent concessions in Zimbabwe and Mozambique

I have just started looking into rifle options for Africa hunting, with an intention to buy something of sufficient caliber.

It looks though like it is challenging to bring a semi auto rifle into many countries from the outside, as they are perceived as military rifles.

a) Are there some countries where semi-auto rifles (medium bore, not AR-15s and AKs) are allowed to be brought in for safaris ?

b) Are locals and / or guides allowed to own and carry a semi-auto rifle ? I know that there are plenty of opinions about if it is a good idea or not, but I am specifically interested in the legal aspect.

Thanks

Harry

Dear Harry:

From my experience, and in the countries of South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique, hunters are typically advised to bring hunting rifles that are non military appearing, and bolt actions.

The guides we have hunted with can own a semi auto, but they normally have those home in the safe and carry firearms similar to what the hunter is bringing.

For an up to date opinion on the current legal situation, I would suggest contacting Mr. Henry Durrheim of riflepermits.com in South Africa. Henry always assists us with acquiring rifle permits to enter the country, and he may be able to help you with the specific legal aspects of your question.

Best regards,

JD

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.