Africa

Has anyone used the swift Scirocco for eland sized game, how was the penetration?
Used them on a big Blue Wildebeest, will never use them again.

Bullet pentrated about three inches and then took off at about 90 degrees initially hitting the crease between the sternum/shoulder then shooting up out of the shoulder.

It was getting very near to dark when I took the shot and if not for luck we might well have lost him to the night. Fortunatey it was so dry I could follow him in the low light as he was kicking up dust and was able to run him down after about a 400-500yds chase and finish him.

Scared the hell out of my PH/Buddy and the outfitter when I took off like that after him and they were about ready to stomp me if he didn't.

I'd had a couple of similar issues on much smaller game with the Siroccos in the past but dismissed them as flukes. I've never used them on another game animal since nor will I ever again use them period.

They fly great, easy to load, but unreliable terminal performance like that will cost you game and could get you killed.

Why don't you hear much about the 338LM in Africa? There is all kinds of stuff about 338 WM but very little about the LM. Is it too new? Laws about Military calibers? On paper it trumps the 338 WM
in every area! About every elite shooting group shoots the Lapua but not the Winchester there has to be a reason for that.

Last edited:
I made a mistake when going to Africa, I never have crimped my bullets hunting in other areas. However by the time I got my guns and luggage, back, in the RSA it was land on Sunday, got guns on a Thursday night late. Everything looked like trucks had run over it. The airlines shipped me direct to Cape Town and my stuff from Atlanta through Paris and the clowns beat hell out of everything. My bullets had vibrated loose and were all over length, no dies or factory cartridges available.

Suggest you work your loads with firmly crimped bullets. Carry on= one day's hunting outfit, boots on, flop hat, sun block.
Ed

Used them on a big Blue Wildebeest, will never use them again.

Bullet pentrated about three inches and then took off at about 90 degrees initially hitting the crease between the sternum/shoulder then shooting up out of the shoulder.

It was getting very near to dark when I took the shot and if not for luck we might well have lost him to the night. Fortunatey it was so dry I could follow him in the low light as he was kicking up dust and was able to run him down after about a 400-500yds chase and finish him.

Scared the hell out of my PH/Buddy and the outfitter when I took off like that after him and they were about ready to stomp me if he didn't.

I'd had a couple of similar issues on much smaller game with the Siroccos in the past but dismissed them as flukes. I've never used them on another game animal since nor will I ever again use them period.

They fly great, easy to load, but unreliable terminal performance like that will cost you game and could get you killed.

I guess I'll use the Scirocco's for punching paper and use the Hammers for hunting.

All I know with eland is 165 grain trophy coppers out of a 30-06 (they make a 130 in 270 wsm) worked wonderfully, as it has with the other 30+ African animals I have shot with it. Have to do your part as always but, through thick and thin (hides that is :cool:) it hasn't failed me yet. I believe your caliber will be more than fine, just make sure you can fo your part 100%. My eland-

YUaz61h.jpg

Cq5EWM3.jpg

Bb05QMt.jpg

you are 100 precent right if you do every thing right, but animals have a way of doing things at the last mila second that change every thing and I want a big enough gun to help cover that event. I chased a wounded water buck quite a ways with dogs that moved just at the shot from a 300 win mag 180 gr bullet at 3000 fps that my friend shot. we did get it with a final shot to the neck, saving my friend several hundred dollars. I have hunted Africa five times shooting 61 animals from dikker to cape buffalo, so I,m not blowing smoke up your arse.

Attachments

• DSCN1849 (2).JPG
    DSCN1849 (2).JPG
    735.1 KB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.