Africa

Hunted Africa multiple times...quick n dirty of it...Swift A-Frames ALWAYS first choice...though Barnes TSX are good bullets as are Nosler Partitions...your 270 in any shape or form is ok for plains game if your a competent shooter..That said for majority of conditions angles and range a 270 is generally too light for eland, my min caliber is 300 win with 200 grain A-Frames or Partitions..

Learn from my mistake. I decided not to bring my 6.5 Swedish as i was advised the cal was too light for Africa( despite hundreds of European elk being shot with this calibre). I hired a local rifle in 30-06 . I could not get used to it and it shook my confidence. So do bring your 270 which will knock everthing you meet but err on the side of caution for the eland and as previously suggested get you PH to organise a heavier rifle for the eland. Make sure you get a bit of practice with it first! Don't stint on the ammo.

Africa 410.jpg View attachment 121180
A lot of big heavy muscle and bone in an Eland. I shot mine with a 338win and 200gr acubonds about 20 minutes to dark. I hit him on the run a little back got some lung and liver he went 70 yards or so and bedded down. We gave him an hour and started to track wasn't hard tracking good blood and trackers. We bumped him up and he was off and running we stopped and didn't find him that night. After a log sleepless night we found him in the morning 300 yards from where he bedded lots of blood and easy tracking but the thought of losing him or hyenas getting to my animal was sickening. I still wish I would have used my 375 Ruger even though it all worked out. These animals are massive took 6 men and a decent winch to get him in the truck. If it were a perfect world a 270 wsm would do the trick but I hunted 5 days trying to find my Eland and I took a shot on a moving animal in excitement and hit him a little far back. It all worked out in the end but I'm glad I used my 338win not my 30-06 and wished i used my 375.

Last edited:
Went to Africa last September with my nephew. We took several animals, including 2 Kudu and a Zebra. I used the Cutting Edge monoliths (https://cuttingedgebullets.com/) in 7mm Mag, in 160 grain MTH (since replaced with the 155 grain MTH) with outstanding success. Every animal shot with it was dropped in its tracks, at ranges from 30 yards to 420 yards on one of the Kudu. I switched to those a number of years ago for elk, with similar results. Last two elk I killed with one shot at 399 yards and 527 yards.

Have fun, it will be a great experience, both culturally and hunting!

Having taken over 100 animals in Africa with everything from archery equipment to .223 rifles & .410 shotgun up to a .416 Rigby I believe I can assure you that with a good heavy A-Frame or Hammer and proper shot placement you'll do fine with the 270 WSM.
I shot a big eland and a couple dozen other animals with a 30.06 and it worked well. A .270 also accounted for several critters. Many impala, kudu, wildebeest and others secumbed to a well placed arrow. African animals are a bit tougher but if you shoot them broadside right in the shoulder they die all the same.

Going to Africa this fall and will be taking my 270WSM. Going to be shooting animals from small deer sized to a 1500 pound Eland. I want to use 150 grain bullets. Thinking of the Swift A frame or the Hammer. Anyone have any recommendations?
Larger antelope like the eland, will need more gun. I have taken two elands with a 416 Rem Mag and 400 grain bullets. Both were perfectly shot and did not go down right away.

Having taken over 100 animals in Africa with everything from archery equipment to .223 rifles & .410 shotgun up to a .416 Rigby I believe I can assure you that with a good heavy A-Frame or Hammer and proper shot placement you'll do fine with the 270 WSM.
I shot a big eland and a couple dozen other animals with a 30.06 and it worked well. A .270 also accounted for several critters. Many impala, kudu, wildebeest and others secumbed to a well placed arrow. African animals are a bit tougher but if you shoot them broadside right in the shoulder they die all the same.
Having shot 100 plus animals in Africa is a 270wsm your recommendation for eland? I've have shot 8 animals in Africa and having shot one eland it would not be my recommendation. Hunting big heavy animals in open country is one thing its easier to see the angle of the animal for shot placement but when you find yourself in the brush it becomes more difficult. I would think that a person that is heading to Africa to hunt would want to get rig of the ifs. If you shoot them broadside in the shoulder they should die but what about when you shot opportunity isn't perfect or you need a follow up shot the angle isn't really up to you and you must take a shot no matter the angle. I believe that to travel to the otherside of the planet with a caliber of a rifle that may or may not be enough why not just bring or use one that you know will get the job done. I'm just of the mindset of removing all the ifs I have control over.

I have taken two large, mature Eland with larger calibers and my wife took a young bull with a 375 H&H. Check with your PH before bringing in a light rifle for Eland. Both of mine weighed close to a ton and did not go down easily. Yes they will go down with a well placed shot, but you don't always get a perfect opportunity. adrenaline is also a big factor when you are looking at a big bull Eland. Most PHs prefer large bore paired with a tough bullet at a moderate velocity. You should get your first shot at 100 yards or less.

Call Barnes. They did exactly what you are with a 300 Wm and 130 TSX. All 1 shot kills. Can't recommend them enough for heavy big game.

53618381-059C-48BC-B4D5-14213B7BA144.jpeg B64FA0B3-98F8-4361-B064-EA63CD484232.jpeg I have only been to South Africa once and I brought my 338WM and my brother brought his 375 H&H. Our PH provided a suppressed 270 for all of his clients to use on everything accept animals that require a minimum bullet diameter according to their laws. The PH did not offer dangerous game hunts due to not owning a proper caliber rifle.

Our PH rarely had clients bring their own rifles so the poor guy and our trackers kept forgetting to plug their ears when we shot our unsuppressed rifles. My brother and I took about 12 plains animals and I also shot a handful of vervet monkies. After seeing the results of my brothers shot on a blue wildebeest with his 375 our PH decided that he would purchase one for himself. Only 2 animals took more than 1 shot to go down. I put three Barnes 225 TTSX into my second gemsbock and my brother put three 300gn rounds into an impala. That was one tough little impala!
Our PH used a 270 for everything up until hunting with my brother and I. Now if his clients can tolerate the recoil of his new 375 H&H, that gets the nod on taking larger game.
Just to recap, our PH had his clients shoot a 270 for years to shoot everything up until my brother and I showed up with our rifles.
BTL

I agree with snox. The .270 will work with a good solid bullet.
I've loaded and hunted with about every caliber and brand over the past 50 years, and the monoliths are the closest I've seen to pure magic performance. Outstanding ballistics, great terminal performance with lighter bullets. I no longer use anything else for hunting.

Many different points of view, a lot to consider. One thing that hasn't been addressed is the issue of shooting a rifle that you are competent with; taking a 375 H&H does little good if you're not comfortable shooting one. Accuracy is key, everything else takes second place. I've got a 300 Weatherby but wouldn't consider taking it because of the bloody recoil. I just don't shoot it well.

Having shot 100 plus animals in Africa is a 270wsm your recommendation for eland? I've have shot 8 animals in Africa and having shot one eland it would not be my recommendation. Hunting big heavy animals in open country is one thing its easier to see the angle of the animal for shot placement but when you find yourself in the brush it becomes more difficult. I would think that a person that is heading to Africa to hunt would want to get rig of the ifs. If you shoot them broadside in the shoulder they should die but what about when you shot opportunity isn't perfect or you need a follow up shot the angle isn't really up to you and you must take a shot no matter the angle. I believe that to travel to the otherside of the planet with a caliber of a rifle that may or may not be enough why not just bring or use one that you know will get the job done. I'm just of the mindset of removing all the ifs I have control over.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.