Advice

Before I ordered my .270 Wby mag from Cooper I had been looking for dies. Like hunting unicorns, this was 15 years ago. Whidden said they could whip them up for me in 60 days. So I found 2 boxes of factory ammo, fire formed 5 cases, and sure enough I had the dies in 2 months. I also found belted magnum brass hard to come by and expensive when I did find it. I eventually sent the rifle back to cooper and had it changed over to .270win Life is good now. Took me 6 years to find someone that wanted to buy the dies, they also took the Wby mag barrel.

Before I ordered my .270 Wby mag from Cooper I had been looking for dies. Like hunting unicorns, this was 15 years ago. Whidden said they could whip them up for me in 60 days. So I found 2 boxes of factory ammo, fire formed 5 cases, and sure enough I had the dies in 2 months. I also found belted magnum brass hard to come by and expensive when I did find it. I eventually sent the rifle back to cooper and had it changed over to .270win Life is good now. Took me 6 years to find someone that wanted to buy the dies, they also took the Wby mag barrel.

There's only one way to find your maximum tolerance level for gun-related monkeying around. The 270 Weatherby is a great cartridge, but if it's too much fussing around, the old 270 is still a winner. It seems that the difference in performance wasn't worth the hassle for you. I found out the same thing with the 30-06 Ackley years ago. It was a great performer, but I got it right about the time they came out with the higher performance ammunition for the regular '06, negating the performance advantage. I was doing all the fire-forming and load development to get the same velocities I could get right out of the box with Federal Hi-Energy ammunition. Well, they don't make that anymore, and I wasn't smart enough to have bought a case of it years ago. The Hornady Superformance ammo generates the same high velocity, but my old rifle doesn't group well with it. I still have the Ackley, and I'll probably be cooking up a new load for it with one of the newer powders. It seemed at the time like my Improved rifle, with all the associated monkeying around, was rendered obsolete by this new ammo, but now I'm seeing that I may have had it built before its time. When powder becomes more available, I'll find out what this rifle will do to make the additional work at the loading bench all worthwhile.

Alright update! I had a conversation today with the gunsmith who built the rifle. He said if I brought him my rifle and $100 and four pieces of my new 8mm Rem Mag brass, He would be able to make and fire form 4 and he will make a dummy round with one of them. He also has the reamer print and he will give me a copy of that as well. This should be plenty for custom dies… right??

Now to contact the three die makers on my list for pricing and lead times….

Hornady is getting my business on this…. I called em, got the right guy on the other end in less than 1 minute of dialing, and they can do it in 16 weeks! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully I'll have the stuff to send them in a week or two.

I want to thank everyone for their responses. You helped me with direction and resources and that's one reason I like this forum so much. Great people.

Actually I got into this rifle because of the odd chambering. I'm a nut like that though. I've got great deals on several guns because I knew I could hand load for them…. definitely one of the better hobbies I've cultivated!!

Wildcats?

Yes, Sir. Wildcats involve a lot of monkeying around, and most of that is fun and educational. There is still a fine line between just enough and a little too much. I think that I got into wildcats a little prematurely, when I didn't have the time or the patience for it, not to mention the necessary knowledge base to build on. Now that I know more about it, and have access to good information and help, it doesn't seem like so much monkeying around. I'm also retired now, and have more time for this type of thing, and it's very enjoyable working with wildcats.

Yes, Sir. Wildcats involve a lot of monkeying around, and most of that is fun and educational. There is still a fine line between just enough and a little too much. I think that I got into wildcats a little prematurely, when I didn't have the time or the patience for it, not to mention the necessary knowledge base to build on. Now that I know more about it, and have access to good information and help, it doesn't seem like so much monkeying around. I'm also retired now, and have more time for this type of thing, and it's very enjoyable working with wildcats.
I thought that's what you meant. I think that my 1st one was a huge step up in terms of knowledge and experience and it kinda takes things to a whole new level reloading wise. This will be my third wildcat and each one brings new lessons.

Glad you got them coming, just dumb luck I checked Grafs and sons, they have been one of my best sources for all my reloading needs, Good people to deal with and one of my first to look at when I need anything, Let us know how it shoots!!!

Recent Posts