Advice

Equalizer

I'm in a predicament. I have a very nice Remington 700 classic that has been blueprinted, trued, lugs lapped, trigger tuned etc etc. it's got a krieger barrel on it and the barrel and action have been reblued. This thing has almost no rounds on it. It's chambered in 358 STA and therein lies my problem. I can't find dies. I've posted in the classifieds here and elsewhere. I have tried eBay. I've tried grafs. I've scoured the interwebs. I had a set of Redding on back order through midway USA but they canceled my order today.

I'm looking for advice either on how to get a set of dies made for less than $500 or what to rebarrel it to. It sucks because I have everything but dies. If I rebarrel I will possibly need additional components AND dies (plus the cost of the new barrel)

I'd like to just get a set of FL dies but I have been looking for the 358 sta dies for a year with zero luck. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

Have you checked with any of the custom die makers? I can only think of whidden Gunworks right off the top of my head but one of the custom makers should be able to help you. They usually use your once fired brass or a reamer specs fo build your dies. Just a thought, it will be around $400 for the dies I would guess.

We have fallen into the same predicament before with wildcats while waiting for custom dies.

We've found that hornady seating dies are a little unique in the fact you can nearly use the seater dies for MANY different calibers due to the amount of space in the seating die. Recently we used a 338 RUM hornady seater for 338 lapua ai 40* (worked great!) You should check the body taper of a 35 whelen vs 358 STA, i would bet a hornady 35 whelen seater will work fine!

with that being said this should get you up and running till you get custom dies ordered:

Universal neck sizing die- https://www.ebay.com/itm/353467278486?epid=1300057389&hash=item524c4aa496:g:6eAAAOSw3lxhArEH

35 whelen dies - https://opticsandammo.com/product/hornady-series-iii-2-die-rifle-35-whelen-mfg-546400/

Thank you all! I'll go through this information and see if I can work something out.

I did call Whidden and the guy I spoke with told me ~$500 and he really wanted brass fired in my chamber. I don't have any loaded rounds or the means to make any so that, cost and his hesitation sorta steered me away from them.

North Idaho Hunter:

If I got something cobbled together with the dies you linked I could send them fired brass. Thanks for the help! Now I have a plan

Edit: I called Huntington and they do not have any.

Last edited:
Hornady has built me custom dies reasonably, in a timely manner in the recent past.
Built myself a 35 Newton, and had defective dies (sizing die cracked) from one of the 'custom' die makers...
The custom maker was willing to replace the broken die...in 16 months when they ran a production run in that caliber again!
Hornady got me going.
Best of luck to you!

Layne Simpson created the 358 STA along with the STW family of calibers. He's a contributing editor to Handloader magazine.
Perhaps you could contact him via the magazine somehow and ask for help finding dies?

You never know.....

Wolfe Publishing
(928) 445-7810

I ve not researched it and don't remember but if the 358 STA is exactly the same as the 7 STW in the body then finding a 7 stw body or F/L bushing die would allow you a way to size cases. A seater can be used from any die large enough in diameter to accept your case.

Anyway, another thought/possible option. Good luck.

I ve not researched it and don't remember but if the 358 STA is exactly the same as the 7 STW in the body then finding a 7 stw body or F/L bushing die would allow you a way to size cases. A seater can be used from any die large enough in diameter to accept your case.

Anyway, another thought/possible option. Good luck.

As fmuguira suggested , you could get a 7mm STW FL neck-bushing sizing die using appropriately sized bushings for the .358" bullets , to re-size your brass . Then get a seating die for a .358 Norma Magnum ( it does not have the improved shoulder angle of the 358 STA , but should work for seating your bullets ) , which should give you a usable set of dies .

Thank you all! I'll go through this information and see if I can work something out.

I did call Whidden and the guy I spoke with told me ~$500 and he really wanted brass fired in my chamber. I don't have any loaded rounds or the means to make any so that, cost and his hesitation sorta steered me away from them.

North Idaho Hunter:

If I got something cobbled together with the dies you linked I could send them fired brass. Thanks for the help! Now I have a plan

Edit: I called Huntington and they do not have any.
Do you have brass? You can fire form it without seating a bullet. Use a minimal charge weight for the round and seal it with wax. That should give you a round to send off to have the dies made.

Full disclosure: I have never personally done it that way but I have seen it done. My understanding is it works pretty well and saves lead. There should be some info out there on how to properly do it or someone else on here may be versed in how to do it.

I have lots of new brass. I have heard of the COW method for fire forming but I have also read much about belted mags and case head separation. I was hoping to be able to seat into the lands enough to get a good brass/chamber fit. The cow method will probably be fine to get the dies made (5 pieces of brass) so not an issue.

I will reach out to Lane Simpson for sure. I'll also contact Hornady and whidden. I'm going to call the gunsmith who did the work and see if he can find the reamer print or any other info on free bore, twist etc but he is an older gentleman and he did this rifle in the 90's so I'm not going to hold my breath lol