Advice welcome, Newb going Elk hunting for the first time

Read all the threads in this forum. Lots of great advice! Since newbie, the CO regs on your license can be confusing and can bite you hard so just passing along as heads up:

I have shared this before and hope 1st timers understand there are regs that have to be followed or else your hunt can be ruined fast!

"Since this is a first time hunt, this doesn't get talked about enough but can bite you really bad. If successful there are some legally required steps you have to take or else subject to fines. CPW is adamant on these requirements and rarely any slack is given:
  • Sign your tag when you buy it but they will show you where when you buy OTC. If in mail, sign it immediately upon receipt.
  • Do not detach your fishing license from the tag at all. Otherwise the fishing license is no longer valid.
  • Sign kill tag upon kill with dates etc filled out.
  • You are required to bring the meat out FIRST plus evidence of sex of the animal must be with the meat.
  • Head etc. must come out LAST. This is something they will not tolerate if you bring the head out first or no evidence of sex. On my last hunt, camp next to us brought head out first and he got whacked hard by CO since not first timer I think.
  • Hunter safety card has to be carried with you at all times unless you have it validated by a CPW office in person and recorded in their system. I carried mine the first year I had it validated to be sure in case it didn't show up in the CO search of the database. This can be confusing since you purchased the license online and entered the Hunter Safety info BUT it does not eliminate the need to carry the card until it is actually validated in person at a CPW office. This law is a real PITA and causes a lot of grief to hunters ASSUMING the wrong interpretation of this requirement.

Whether you budget allows or not (and even if your friends are experienced) I would still recommend some type of hand held GPS unit(s) to anyone hunting in an area there are not familiar with. Trees and rocks look like other trees and rocks, bad weather or a quicker than anticipated nightfall coupled with a rec trip into the wrong drainage can make anyone's first trip there least favorite or last.

Hunting elk in the mountains is like an all day exercise class. You will get exhausted. Make sure your camp is comfortable enough to sleep well, both body and mind need this. Eat as many real meals(hot) as you can and carry extra food. I always drink some kind of sport drink everyday. Know your physical limit. If your body breaks down, your done hunting until you recover. Losing a day is 10-20% of your hunt. Start slow, end strong. They say training is 90% physical and 10% mental, and competition is 90% mental and 10% physical, so it is with elk hunting.
The best thing I took from my time at Ft. Bliss, TX was this quote written in large print on a fitness center wall, "fatigue makes cowards of us all".

Last edited:
These guys are pretty much all on point. I would add if at all possible try to scout a few days before opening day. A huge amount of my success over the years comes from finding herds /bulls that are less pressured. Once they are being shot at they are less likely to be in the open, go figure. Also one tag filled on an opener makes the second a lot more likely! Wind wind wind. Watch your wind. Most people underestimate it. Try to be in your glassing positions before dawn. Hunt hard but have fun. Hunt for trophy experiences and trophy antlers will be a bonus.

Assuming you are hunting on a national forest, go to the website of that particular national forest and look for the link "Maps and Publications" - it will show what roads are open to SS travel - many ORV "roads" are now closed. There is one behind my place that is no longer listed as a forest service road and is marked "No motorized vehicles." Frankly, around my place, any forest service road still open is easily accessible with a pickup truck.

Thanks for all the great advice!

257Tony - the wife and are are trying to get in shape for the event. We are starting to walk on the treadmill at an incline with our packs on and weights inside. We both stay in good shape (workout everyday types), but I am concerned about pushing through the elements if Mother Nature rears her ugly head.

Bear Baron - I never even thought about altitude sickness. We hiked Mt Fuji and we saw first hand how it affects people. We had friends that had to take oxygen, I just got tired at the top and had to take a nap (not ideal if hunting). We plan to go out a few days prior to set up camp and start scouting, maybe we'll go out even earlier if we can.

Wardog - so much great advice in this post, thank you! I'll be buying some more game bags and a new skinning knife just from your post.

As far as the side-by-side is concerned, our plan is to park the trucks/trailers at the trail head and then take the side-by-sides deep in and set up camp. Then hike/scout around the camp. I don't see us using the side-by-sides daily unless we take an elk and we can haul it out with one, or we've deemed there are now elk in a hike-able radius and need to move camp. Is this frowned upon? Is there a better way to go about it? I certainly don't want to be the newb that is screwing it up for others.

As far as rifles, I'm super anal about equipment. My rifles are sighted in and chrono'd, with a spare rifle just in case. Now it's just a matter of getting as much practice as possible, while still practicing for archery.

I really appreciate the coments. I've been reading through a bunch of threads and I'm learning so much.
What area are you looking at? I've been to I've been to 7 areas and might be able to give a hint or 2. Enjoy!

Thank you all for the incredible advice and mentoring. I'm taking in all the wisdom you've learned over the years and also adding a ton to the shopping list.
Enjoy the Rockies. A successful hunt doesn't always mean coming home with a trophy. Enjoy your time there. Soak it all in. A cooler full of meat will be a bonus.
Jessej, this is why we are not getting a guide and going hunting for our anniversary. We love the hiking and outdoors and that's the way we connect with each other and God. It's much more to us than filling a tag, but it would be nice!

BagPiper63:
We are looking at hunting 22, 23 or 24. I'm leaning more toward 23 or 24 since that's the highest elevation and we'll be hunting during first rifle season in October.

Pretty area! We hunted Ripple Creek pass and saw a few in the deep thick timber but didn't get a shot. Another good option if your lungs and legs are fried is to drop off at the top of the pass and hike southwest. You will come out through open meadows mixed with trees and end up down by the road. Works great if you have 2 vehicles! Hard to get lost as well! Further west is where the crowds seem to be. North of Buford, the atv noise is crazy there. Trappers lake is nice as well (they used to have pay showers there). Enjoy!

Pretty area! We hunted Ripple Creek pass and saw a few in the deep thick timber but didn't get a shot. Another good option if your lungs and legs are fried is to drop off at the top of the pass and hike southwest. You will come out through open meadows mixed with trees and end up down by the road. Works great if you have 2 vehicles! Hard to get lost as well! Further west is where the crowds seem to be. North of Buford, the atv noise is crazy there. Trappers lake is nice as well (they used to have pay showers there). Enjoy!
And that's the type of first hand knowledge that is priceless. Thank you!!!

And that's the type of first hand knowledge that is priceless. Thank you!!!
We set up camp on the north side of the road up to the pass about 2 1/2 to 3 miles below the summit. There is a nice path that you can find by angling nw that will take you up pretty high. Then at the top turn right go about a mile and you will be at the road.. We saw a few while scouting up to our left the day before season opened. Also don't try and buy spare clothes that were left at home in Meeker on Sunday! And Buford had a small store (that was 1 total in the town!). Enjoy

Recent Posts