Advice requested for 300 purchase.

happylilcuss

So there is a new dealer in town and he has a kimber 8400 advanced tactical in 300 win mag that he will sell to me for right around 2k. I really like some of the refinements this comes with ie. the picatinney rail, the tac bolt knob, double sling stds, a5... However I am not sure that this rifle is worth 2k..

I could get a rem 700 xcr tactical with a 26" tube fluted for under 1k.. I have heard the stock on these are junk and flex too much. I dont like the palm swell on the 700p and the sendero but I know these are "Usually" good rifles.. If I did the rem I could also get a ar platform to go with it..

But what I am really asking is what would you guys do with 2 thousand dollars and you were looking for a 300 win mag? All your expierence is appreciated.

It really depends on what you intend to do with the gun.

Personally I would purchase a Savage Model 116. I like the nut system so I can change out the barrels myself without lathe time. If the Savage did not shoot the way I need it (most do) I would call Benchmark and have a pre-everything 3 groove barrel made for $400. A Stevens (made by Savage) is running $350. and the only difference from a Savage is the Accutrigger is not on the Stevens.

If I did not like the Savage Accutrigger ( I do) I would send the Action to Sharp Shooters Supply and have the action trued and have either his standard trigger installed for hunting or his new Benchrest trigger installed while waiting for the new barrel. All for $250.-$300.

Don't like the stock? Many out there for $300. for any application you can think of.

SO there is $1000. if you choose to keep the stock! Then smile after you are shooting one hole groups and you still have an extra thou to treat yourself to???

Neal

Thanks for the post Neil. Unfortunatley I just cant seem to get myself to like the savage. Also the gun would be used for long range hunting and punching paper as far as the 300 will go..

Well, What I am doing has been suggested on this site a few times.

I bought a SS 700 SPS in 300RUM.

The Fellow I bought it from had never fired it although he had a smith hone and lap the Trigger. Otherwise I would replace it and if necessary still will do so.

I plan to shoot it and if accurate, proceed to shoot until it needs rebarreled.

Once shot out, or if it is inaccurate I will purchase a custom barrel in 338 edge have a brake installed accurize the action and restock and bed it.

Coyboy recently suggested something similar to someone on a recent thread. Do a search on his posts.

If your handy you could do the restock and bedding yourself.

The Picatinney rail is not hard to pick up either.

I had planned to go the NEAR manufacturing route and use their one piece set up in SS but with the 338 Edge I would use their other set up for moa lift.

But what I am really asking is what would you guys do with 2 thousand dollars and you were looking for a 300 win mag? All your expierence is appreciated.

For $2K, I'd buy a Stiller Predator Long Action, repeater, a stock and a McGowan, Krieger, or other good barrel in contour to match the rifles intended uses, magazine and bottom metal, and build one. I'd build it myself but there are two or three local smiths that would build it and still stay under $2K. The Predator action will fit in a 700 long action compatible stock so you get lots of stock choices - it uses two remington front mounts because it is round.

$2K is a lot to pay for a production rifle. I've never seen a production rifle with a barrel as good as even a medium priced custom build.

There was a place called Quarter Minute Magnums, or something like that, selling custom rifles in .300 Mag that looked really good, at least their test targets did, for at or under $2K. I can't find their web page at the moment. Looking at their test targets had me drooling on my keyboard.

Fitch

First off, I wouldn't pay $2 for a Kimber, but that's just me. (Actually I would, but then I would turn around and sell it for $4)

But anyway, with a $2000 rifle budget I would buy a new SS Howa, take off the stock and barrel and sell them, Then get a B&C Medalist stock and custom barrel, have a good gunsmith blueprint the action and put it all together with a Jewel trigger and a few $$$$ left over.

IMO, that would be way better than any Kimber...

-Mark

So there is a new dealer in town and he has a kimber 8400 advanced tactical in 300 win mag that he will sell to me for right around 2k. I really like some of the refinements this comes with ie. the picatinney rail, the tac bolt knob, double sling stds, a5... However I am not sure that this rifle is worth 2k..

I could get a rem 700 xcr tactical with a 26" tube fluted for under 1k.. I have heard the stock on these are junk and flex too much. I dont like the palm swell on the 700p and the sendero but I know these are "Usually" good rifles.. If I did the rem I could also get a ar platform to go with it..

Well, it's been said before, "What are you intending to do with the rifle? What you intend to do means a lot toward what recommendations that would apply to your request. Do Not buy any rifle simply because it is pretty or that it is in stock at your local dealer. That usually leads to much disappointment with the rifle you buy. The big questions is? "Will if fill your needs?" I for one need more information about what you want to do with the rifle before I could make any kind of a recommendation.