• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Advice requested Dillon 550B

Sealesniper

This might not be the right place for this question, but I thought I might get more views and more answers here.

I am looking at a used 550B with a little brass and supplies, and loading sets for .45 ACP and .380. The guy is way high at $1000 but price is negotiable.

My questions are these.

Any of you use these enough to justify the expense? Being they are a manual automatic progressive press, do you feel the press is up to the hype?

Anything I need to look for or check when looking at the press? Any places of concern, wear or normal issues?

Thank you,

Roger

I`ve owned/used one for 30 years........ good press.... check the dillion website....

We've had one in the family for over a decade without any malfunctions. The progressive loading function has worked well for small caliber rifle ammo, I've no pistol ammo loading experience using it.

Dillion has been good to deal with buying accessories, and there's always a tool-head or something that would make the reloading process easier....

Jack

You will not be disappointed in the 550B. Doubt if you could actually wear one out.

Like most hobbies, you seldom find yourself in the black.

I would contact Brian Enos (sells Dillion) to get a price quote before buying used, especially at $1000.

I own two 550B presses. One about 5 years old and the other I got back in the early 80s. Initially got one, right after they added the auto powder measure and primer feed, to cut down on the time taken to reload. My biggest issue with the Dillon is running out of components. I've made some of the most accurate rounds I've ever made with it. Then again I have made some huge mistakes, any progressive will allow that. The production numbers aren't exaggerated but you have to pay attention!

There are more options now than there were then but none better.

BTW; If that guy sticks to his price make real certain what he's giving you is actually worth the price! If you're getting a whole bunch of dies and that it could be equitable, just check.

Last edited:
Great loader, loved mine but realized I don't need progressive, prefer to be more precise in my load data and progressive is not as accurate as I wanted. $1000 buys a lot of loading products if you don't need the progressive to load a large amount of ammo.

bought one used over 20 years ago. I've worn out numerous small parts, and never had to pay for a replacement. Dillon always sent them to me free. Unless you're getting a LOT of components, 1000 is WAY too high. A buddy of mine bought a used one with a bunch of stuff for 38, 9mm, and 45 for $550. try gunbroker as well

Great loader, loved mine but realized I don't need progressive, prefer to be more precise in my load data and progressive is not as accurate as I wanted. $1000 buys a lot of loading products if you don't need the progressive to load a large amount of ammo.

Please show us the evidence.

I have two still running strong since the 80's. 45, 9mm,38spcl, 44-40, and 45LC die sets. They have many thousands of rounds through them. I think they paid off in savings and load customization within the first year of purchase. Used them to load for Cowboy/Combat competition, and general shooting. In the calibers I use, loads are as accurate, or better as any factory or manually loaded ammo. Many, many thousands of rounds through them and still going strong. I replaced a small primer feed component that Dillon sent me a replacement, no charge about 15 years ago on one of them. For me, one of my best investments in time and cost savings.

Similar to what others have said, I love my 550. I use it to load variations of cartridges for 9/38/40/44/45/223/and a few others. I may enjoy using it more than my 650. It has certainly paid for itself, it is simple, and it does the trick.

As far as the comment about not being as precise, I'm not sure where that is going. Perhaps from a powder drop perspective, but for brass prep/seating/primers, etc, it is very hard to beat.

With that said $1,000 is way too much unless you are getting a very large quantity of supplies. I have picked up used 550s before for $350ish. Conversions can be had for about $30 if you're patient.

Give us some more details as the items included!

Please allow me to clarify, I stated its a great "progressive" loader maybe the best. I loved mine. My statement on "precise" is only in relation to powder drop, I am not aware of a powder drop progressive that is precise. That was all I said, if you need progressive loader the Dillon is the one. I guess the thread shows the favor of the unit and the outrage by an inference of negative statement shows the positive that it has a very strong following. My point was $1,000 buys a lot of reloading stuff if you don't need progressive, not any negative on the Dillon. Good shooting!

I want to thank you all for your replies. I plan to go talk with the owner again Sunday and get a good account for what comes with the unit. I really appreciate all the time each of you put into your responses. It is very helpful to me to have an idea of potential issues, Dillon's service and the machine itself, as well as years of service. I am thankful to be a member on a forum that has such high class and knowledgeable members. Thank you all and I will let you know if I get the press, at what price and what came with it.

Roger

Recent Posts