Advice please: Help out buddy on Moose + Grizz hunt

ElwoodB

Hi folks,

I am going to accompany a Canadian buddy on his moose and grizz hunt in some remote backcountry place (he wont tell me, says it´s a secret... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) in the Yukon for 3 weeks. I´ll come along on his stalks, (hopefully) help pack out the moose/grizz, keep the camp together, that sort of thing.

While I am really looking forward to this trip, I was wondering this:

Will I (German, no Canadian hunting license) be allowed to carry a firearm for "self-protection"?

I know that I wont be allowed to hunt anything, not having a license and him not being an outfitter and everything but just for that 1-in-a-million chance that I run across a ****ed-off bear, a rifle/revolver would come in handy...

Call me a wimp, but I´ll rather be safe than sorry! On the other hand I dont want trouble with the game wardens, so whats your advice on this?

Thanks,

elwood.

I don't know about the legality of a non hunter in a hunting camp being able to carry a rifle or not,but I do know that you are not allowed to bring a handgun in to Canada......

This is a post that is difficult to respond to with out revealing ones own attitude towards certain things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So I'll respond in this manner:

Ensure your buddy leaves no second or third rifle laying around camp prepared for use where you can readily reach it!

Also if you pack some stuff for him and/or yourself make sure none of the stuff includes anything smaller than a 45LC w/hard cast bullets of about 300 weight and 1K fps. Also don't tuck your shirt in, that gives the griz something to rip off.

I would, however carry some pepper spray for the mosquitoes and as an after the fact cover scent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I like the once in a lifetime thing, just so it isn't the last thing in that lifetime.

Good luck and have fun. AND post pics when you get back.

Roy, handguns are not allowede in Canada,serious trouble if caught with one..........

Dear Elwood,

Here are some official sites regarding hunting regulation, in some provinces of CANADA.
ALBERTA
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/huntingregs/
YUKON
http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/hunting/hunting.html

LIke a general rules, you can use your budy firearms, without firearms licence, if he/she is near to you (1-5 yards).
Regarding shooting a crazy grizz who charge you, thats another story.
The best way is to call 1-800 numbers from this site an talk directly with a warden, explain him the situation, and he can guide you.
This is my advice, because every province have specials rule.

"Big game
You cannot hunt big game animals in the Yukon unless you are outfitted by a licensed outfitter and accompanied by a licensed big game guide. Big game animals include moose, caribou, mountain sheep, mountain goat, black bear, grizzly bear, wolf, coyote and wolverine. For a list of big game outfitters contact the Yukon Outfitters Association.
For more information about big game hunting, contact an Environment Yukon office"

Chris

[ QUOTE ]

Roy, handguns are not allowede in Canada,serious trouble if caught with one..........

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I keep forgetting about that loss of freedom up there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

But, if our consulate is as good as Mexico's consulate we could get away with it easily. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Too **** many rules!

Hm, thats funny - I wouldn't have thought that there are almost as many rules as in Germany!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But it's all for good reason and a just cause I suppose.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help, I'll probably just make the call and see what the officials say!

Thanks again and happy hunting,

elwood.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.