Advice on which .243/6mm

PAMONTY

Ordered a Hart heavy contour in 8 twist the other day. I plan to shoot the 105 A-MAX. I haven't decided on which caliber yet though. Some say the 6mm-284 is a barrel burner, so I don't know. Maybe the .243AI, I have seen alot of these lately.

Any suggestoins???

Also would you have anything done with the neck?
Thanks
PennMonty

243 ack is probably the best compromise for an overbore 6mm as far as efficiency and barrel life go. plus you can get lapua or norma brass ready to go. a buddy of mine has both and he is tickled pink with the results with his 243 ack done by R.W.Hart & son in nescpoeck pa.

JB

Pennmonty

Don't overlook the straight 243 Winchester.

I have a 30" 8 twist barreled rifle in the 243 Win. that shoots to 1100 Yards quite well and with repeatability. The 30" barrel gives much better velocity then a shorter one will in the 6mm caliber.

I use the 105 to 107 gr bullets in it and Lapua brass.
The effeciency of the 243 is well documented and the barrel life is MUCH better then the 6/284 or the Ackley or Gibbs versions of the 6mm.
I also have the 6/284 and have owned the Ackley and Gibbs 6mms over the years so I'm able to made the comparisons.

Good luck in your decision.

Later
DC

Do some research into the 6BR Norma, I think you will be impressed. Many 1000yd BR shooters are now using this and 105/107gr bullets. From 30" barrels, performance is very good, brass and throat life is wonderful, recoil is very mild. Ensure that you are using the long throat version.

If not, I would go with the 243, Reg or AI is up to you, because cases are so easy to get and you can form from 308match brass if necessary.

Jerry

Got somthing else for you to think about...

I would have said 243AI.. no brainner..
BUT... I have just finished some test loading with a 6mmAI WOW..

3250fps with a sierra 107 SMK.. not sure a 243AI that can do that.. I still have no pressure signs...

Just another thought.... the only advantage a 243AI has is brass...

mbianchini ,

I will get to do more load development here in a week or so....

I hope to get 3500 outta the 107's... we'll see. I know that i can hold more powder and I have a 30" Krieger on this rifle so I should be able to get there...

hmmm.. I like the friendly competition stuff...

grin.gif
wink.gif

Well, you guys have helped me answer a question I never thought to ask. The barrel I have on order will come 32" long and I was going to cut it down to 28". But after hear velocities you guys are getting I think we will leave it at 30"

PennMonty

Both rounds are super rounds the 243 win/6mm Remington I dont dig any of that ackley jazz I think if it came down to that Id just go the 6mm Rem. but I shoot some 243 winchesters that are just the neatest thing since sliced cheese...........and deadly accurate to boot..............

congrats on resurrecting a 6 year old thread. i like my 243 with the 90gr bergers, but now the 6x47 has caught my eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.