Advice on used Oehler 35P

I bought a used Oehler 33 in 1982 and it is still working great. For $250 I would jump on that deal.
I've had my 33 about that long also. I set mine up with lengths of conduit to get 10ft between screens. A bit of a PIA to set up(I don't use it at public ranges) but have never seen the need to upgrade or buy something else.
iMOPMCH.jpg

Been a while since I got it out, but I think I'm at 20' screen spacing.
Each screen on a lot better tripod, with a carefully measured steel cable between them. Lined up with a bore laser.
Switches inside the bench unit are flipped to change time integration for this.

Been a while since I got it out, but I think I'm at 20' screen spacing.
Each screen on a lot better tripod, with a carefully measured steel cable between them. Lined up with a bore laser.
Switches inside the bench unit are flipped to change time integration for this.
Thanks!

Integrating over greater distance is averaging travel time. I have mixed feelings about that.
But resolution with extra integration is far better, which enables finer measure of variance. My ES measure should be within 1-2fps.
And that's what I usually want to know.
I can setup the 4' rail also, which I still have with screens mounted. With this, I set the rail center 10' from muzzle and back calculate for MV.

LabRadar holds high resolution with actual displacement points (not time). So it should be more accurate with raw velocities.
Given this, I have no doubt that LabRadar is slightly better, and possibly the best we'll ever have.

Last edited:
I've had my 33 about that long also. I set mine up with lengths of conduit to get 10ft between screens. A bit of a PIA to set up(I don't use it at public ranges) but have never seen the need to upgrade or buy something else.
iMOPMCH.jpg

That looks like the box that I have with my Oehler. I bought mine used maybe 15 years ago, box and all.

iMOPMCH.jpg
Cannot imagine lugging that "locker" box out to the range!!! Magnetospeeds are an exercise in MacGwyver Field Craft. LabRadar every time. Prosecution rests. YMMV.

I have one that I would like to sell off now that we have gone strictly to labradar. It would be a real bitch to ship though because I have it all in a double rifle case so it contains the whole system. I have not used it since we've got the lab radar so I don't know if it makes much sense to leave it lay around

Cannot imagine lugging that "locker" box out to the range!!! Magnetospeeds are an exercise in MacGwyver Field Craft. LabRadar every time. Prosecution rests. YMMV.
Yeah if I was buying one today Labradar would be my choice but they didn't offer them in 1985 when I bought my Oehler and the amount of chronograph work that I need to do now hasn't justified buying another system.

I believe that P35 has 3 screens, not 2. Correct me if I am wrong.
Correctomundo.....from Oehler site..."35P Proof Chronograph with 3 Skyscreen III's, 4 ft. rail, 2 folding stands, packed in a hard case." $595MSRP ......maybe not such a good deal...what does a replacement screen cost??? And, a Pelican or Harbor Freight Apache case to replace that vintage "strain a gut locker" box. Partner with 1-5 friends on the cost of a LabRadar @ $559, and you have the best for less. If one doesn't have friends to partner with, maybe the cost of a Labradar isn't the biggest problem. YMMV

M35-in-CaseA-1.jpg

Caution on the Oehler. You can change length of rails BUT you must go inside and change the pin setting to match the length of the new rails. Knew a top 1K shooter that one year was blowing bullets up. He said he was shooting 210 Bergers at 2950 and blowing at least 1 every 10. Found out his pin setting was wrong and really running over 3200. I had one for 20 years but the Labradar is much more convenient. Buy when you can. 3 things on those, buy and auxiallary USB power charger ($25 on amazon), buy the recoil trigger and use the velcro pads on rifle and wrap the cord around the scope (never fails to pick up the bullet) and lastly, there are after market aiming pieces that fit on top to help align. The recoil trigger eliminates much of the setup hassle with brake or no brake and not picking up a shot.

Unpacked my new/used ohler and these came with it. Anyone know what these parts are for? Also, what kind of stands do most people use? I guess I assumed stands would come with it.

Attachments

• 20211017_141314.jpg
    20211017_141314.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 47

Recent Posts