Advice on used Oehler 35P

slas

Doing some research on these. I've been using a cheaper chrony and really need something better. A Labradar is out of my budget range at the moment and I'm not crazy about the MagnetoSpeed's. I found the Oehler 35P being offered for $250 locally. The pic of the original purchase receipt reads:

Proof Chronograph with 3 Skyscreen III's, 4 ft. rail, 2 folding stands, packed in hard case. $575

The seller bought it along with some guns and various other items from an older gentleman who was no longer able to shoot. He does not reload. I read that they're not making them any longer so if it were to die I'm sure getting it serviced would not be possible. From pics seems to be in good condition.

If there are suggestions for better chronographs in the $250 range please feel free to provide your personal plug for it.

Thoughts?

I have a shooting Pro Chrony and it works just fine until the sun goes down.
Do you ever question it's reliability? I've been doing quite a bit of reloading lately and sometimes, not always, when the numbers seem a bit all over the place I always have that voice in back of my head saying, "You really need to buy a better chronograph". Especially after spending thousands over the years upgrading the majority of my reloading equipment.....I guess you can say it's one of the weak spots in the "quality equipment" category.

I have not questioned it, a good example for me, I have a Crossbow, I complained to the manufacturer the advertised speed is nowhere close on mine, 365fps advertised with a 400gr. Arrow, I was shooting 345fps with 420gr arrow. We argued and they said send it in, when done they called and said it is shooting consistently 377fps with 400gr arrow, I calculated it and figured it should be 367fps with my setup. It was exactly that velocity when I tested it, the speed dial on my scope also agreed with the fps. I know many people will not agree or believe, I don't care, in the end it is just a tool to get a reading, you are going to verify if that is correct by shooting for drops out to 600yds to verify. That is going to be with any Chronograph you use, just because they cost a lot doesn't mean you are not going to verify it before heading to the woods. I just finished watching a video this morning of a guy testing his new barrel using a Labradar it missed two of his shots out of 10, so they all will have misses.

Oehler is still making the Oehler 35P. You can check their web site for information. Their chronographs are guaranteed for life unless it's a problem that you caused. Their customer service is excellent.

At the price you got I'd grab it fast before it gets away. I used one for 20yrs and they are great. You can use a 2' bar and make life a lot easier on yourself. I only sold mine when I bought a LabRadar. The LabRadar is just more convenient but it has its own issues.

You are not going to get a better chronograph for $250.

Oehler is still making the Oehler 35P. You can check their web site for information. Their chronographs are guaranteed for life unless it's a problem that you caused. Their customer service is excellent.

At the price you got I'd grab it fast before it gets away. I used one for 20yrs and they are great. You can use a 2' bar and make life a lot easier on yourself. I only sold mine when I bought a LabRadar. The LabRadar is just more convenient but it has its own issues.

You are not going to get a better chronograph for $250.
Absolutely correct.

I still have my Oehler 35P, just don't get it out much anymore. It was recommended to be used with my Pressure Trace, so I did. It is an excellent chronograph, just cumbersome to set up.
Just like with other optical chrono graphs, the time of day when you use it makes a huge difference. Early mornings/late afternoons are not the best times and midday seems not good if bright and sunny.
I found cloudy days are best, and use the diffusers ALL THE TIME. I actually bought opaque plastic sheets and placed them in wire racks I made by bending coat hangers so that they shaded, but not blocked out the light, and my chrono's actually read better.

Cheers.

Ive used a 35P for over 25 years. Never had outlier results. Im careful not to use it when the sun is low. For the last two years Ive been confirming data with a magnetospeed. The 35p is usually a small margin slower, which could/should coincide with it being 12' from the muzzle.
I trust my 35P. It is an old friend on the range, even though it is cumbersome and slow to set up and disassemble.

Ive used a 35P for over 25 years. Never had outlier results. Im careful not to use it when the sun is low. For the last two years Ive been confirming data with a magnetospeed. The 35p is usually a small margin slower, which could/should coincide with it being 12' from the muzzle.
I trust my 35P. It is an old friend on the range, even though it is cumbersome and slow to set up and disassemble.
The gentleman selling it pulled everything out of the case and had it all on laid out on a table for the pic. I must say, it looks a little overwhelming, wires and pieces everywhere. That alone gives me pause.

I listen to the guys at the range bitch about their Labradar. My Oehler 35 has never failed me so long as I carry a spare 9 volt battery. Every shot velocity is measured twice and compared for accuracy. The readout will flash when these readings don't match within certain limits. I've owned imy Oehler since the mid 90s. Any part that might get accidentally shot, is easily replaceable and customer service is excellent. The sensors, (screens) can be set apart at a number of different incremental distances so your 4 ft. rail can be changed to 2 ft or 3 or 6 or 8... There are switches inside the control box that you set for different distances. All explained in the instructions. The further apart the screens are, the more accurate the reading. Mine are set at 3 ft. My rail is mounted on one tripod. I can read arrow velocities, pellets, sling shots, bullets, even wax bullets and if I had the skill to pitch a baseball through, that too. Oehler was state of the art in the 80s-90s. I still would not buy anything different.

My experience is the Oehler 35P is an excellent piece of equipment. It is a a little cumbersome to set up, but the 3rd screen is actually a feature that is not well understood. The 3rd screen is a check that throws out suspect readings. The printout is also nice unless maybe your whole life revolves around your cell phone. Oehler lists it on its site as in stock for $595. I'd buy it from them or get a much better price than $575 used.

I also have a magnetospeed. Its not the easiest setup in the world either unless perhaps if you only use it on one gun. IMO it is cumbersome setting up the sensor sleeve with the spacers on the end of the barrel. It gets to be even a lot more time consuming setting it up to different guns that need different spacers. Generally the setup on the end of the barrel changes harmonics and changes where bullets hit the target, though my experience with bull barrels is that it can be minimal if any, but I don't trust it anyway. All that said it is a compact piece of equipment, theoretically very accurate, is computer friendly and I generally use it these days over the Oehler.

I have both a Magnetospeed sporter and a Prochrono. I typically use the Pro for things like ARs/pistols and the Magnetospeed for bolt guns. They both seem very accurate to me. They both take about the same time for me to set up.

When I was looking for a supplement for the Magnetospeed the Oehlers weren't available new (likely due to component shortages) and I couldn't find a good deal on a used one. I would buy it myself.