Advice on short carbon barrels

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by trucraft, Jul 13, 2018.

1. trucraft

trucraft Well-Known Member

Hi.
    I'm thinking of using a Proof 20" - 22" barrel on my 6.5 saum build.
    However I am wondering weather the muzzle flip will make spotting impact a nightmare.
    Would a Bartlein varmint profile of the same lenght be more manageable?
    Does anyone have xperience of a short carbon barrel and how they shoot with similar cartridges?

2. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

Since no one replied:
    More weight equals more stability during recoil.
    If you’re going to cut the weight by going to a carbon fibre why not add the extra 4” and let your 6.5saum perform.

3. Shane Lindsey

Shane Lindsey Well-Known Member

I have a shorty 308 16" barrel. It is a varmint profile. It isn't light but had a hard time finding a load it likes. Not sure if it was the barrel or not.

If going light keep the velocity performance. If trying to shoot long range, there is something to be said about the heavier rifles. Not saying it can't be done, but there is a reason sniper rifles aren't light. If you aren't concernd with long range shooting, know the limitations of the light rifle and rock it. I myself am done carrying heavier rifles.

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  4. Dinosaur hunter

Dinosaur hunter Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I have a 6.6 lb 6.5 saum without scope that has a little jump. It has a #4 rock creek on it at 23inch. Not carbon but light weight. It is difficult to see impacts for me but not impossible.

5. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

Put a brake on it, and flip will be mitigated. Build what you want.

But know you are leaving a lot on the table by going with a 20" 6.5 SAUM.

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  6. trucraft

trucraft Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replys guys.
    I do appreciate that I am choosing a shorter barrel than normal. However I still hope to achieve 2950+ Which I feel will give me more than any other short action 6.5 of the same barrel length.
    Weight is not a major factor as long as it comes out around 12lb - 13lb Inc scope. As you rightly said Shane too light a rig for long range is a pain in the ***.
    I like to see impact and having a suppressor will help. But also add length and I have a thing about lugging about long barrel rifles. Compact is best for me.
    I am steering towards a standard light varmint over carbon and aim for 22"
    This I hope will give the best balence.

7. lancetkenyon

I don't see a 13# 6.5SAUM having much muzzle flip. Having a few 13+# rifles, I can attest, they are no fun to carry 8-12+ miles a day over the mountains. Which is why I have built a couple lighter weight carry rifles that are plenty capable of shooting 1000+ should the need arise.

A sub-9# .280AI that puts 3 into a 2.9" group at 921,and a 10# 7RM that puts 5 into a 2.25" group @ 806.

You don't HAVE to go heavy for an accurate LR (1000 yards) rifle. You just have to practice with it.

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  8. Shane Lindsey

Shane Lindsey Well-Known Member

Agree with Lance.

Had a 9+ lbs 270 Win that I put a magnum taper Hart in 1:8 twist. This was a great weight/contour balance. It was a shooter with the 165 Matrix.

9. Dranger45

Dranger45 Active Member

My buddy and his uncle been debating about going carbon fibre for the Saum. We'll just finish installing the new rack and bakflip tonneau covers for kayak mount on his truck. I believe too the extra length should give a good difference.

10. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

What is this???

Steve

11. lancetkenyon

[​IMG]

RockyMtnMT likes this.