Advice on set-up of new Ruger and Vortex Viper Scope?

dcgayhart

I've been a good pistol shooter my entire life, rifle not so much. Long range rifle shooting has been on my "bucket list" for a while now. I been shooting an M4 carbine for years but that's not a long range rifle.
I loved to shoot steel from my Handgun Metallic Silhouette days so I'm joining the Cowtown Range in Peoria AZ. They have steel targets out to about 1500 yards!

I purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.
https://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/specSheets/18054.html
I also bought a Vortex Viper Scope.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vor...IiQEoAQ&biw=1920&bih=975#imgrc=LB9o3SWgbL0M3M:
Now the real questions start. What scope mounts do I use. I read the Vortex Precision Matched Rings 30-126 or the 30-145 were the best choices? I have a GG&G BiPod but I need to adapt it to M-Lok mounts, no big problem there.
I sold all my loading gear years ago so I'm going to use factory ammo. I hear the Hornady Match Ammunition 6.5 Creedmoor 140 Grain ELD is a good starting place? Any other suggestions would be welcome.
When I gather all my components and assembly the Ruger I will go out to Ben Avery range and see how it shoots at 200 yards.

Nice set up.Sounds like your about to have some FUN.

I would start looking for a good rear bag to support the butt. Also need the butt of the stock to slide smoooooothly. So I would look at an accessory that would allow that for the factory stock.
Check out this adapter on eBay and you'll see what I'm talking about. Cheaper than replacing the butt...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-Prec...-Rider-Attachment-for-OEM-stock-/202379382173

Nice setup brother u will do just fine with factory hornady stuff. As Barrelnut mentioned the big factor with the stock butt stock on the rpr is its ability to ride on a bag definelty need bag rider adaptor. I have had 5 rpr rifles to tinker with since they came out. The magpul PRS is a popular upgrade and recently seekins released a butt stock also which I just did a new rpr build on. I like running scope mounts on the rpr platform but rings will certainly work. Here is an example of a 1.5 inch 20 moa NF unimount to give u a good idea, that is a 56mm scope though so I would think u could get by with a 1.250 or maybe a little less. I like the mounts to be a little higher cause for my hold I found that if I got the scopento close to the rail the cheek was completely bottomed out and I was having to smash my face down for good cheek weld. A little higher will give u the ability to actual adjust cheek piece up for perfect fit. Top pic is running a giessele precision mount also with a 56mm scope.
9CACA73E-2016-4BE1-B06E-7914AD3B6E6A.jpeg
785168C9-2052-4FC2-B784-8DADF83E69BF.jpeg
D7AE2794-BA57-49C6-B68B-AB634CFADC4C.jpeg
A8AB7542-9314-40AC-9493-A79E6C4815D6.jpeg
EC8A2D6B-90DC-42E0-84DF-66406250C5DB.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.