advice on scope

patross79

i am finishing up a savage rifle in 260 remington w shilen heavy barrel. gun will be used for mostly target and some hunting. my question is i have a local guy i know that is willing to sell me a NF 2.5x10x24 for 800.00 the scope i was originally looking at was a elite 6500 2.5x16 out of the two scopes what would you choose and why. i have 2 NF already and have been very pleased w them. never owned a 6500 but heard their click value isnt alway consistant. i will be dialing in ranges, no holdover. so of the two what would you guys suggest. thanks

I would suggest the NF except for the fact that the 24mm obj won't be great for dawn and dusk shooting which often times is when you get a shot. If your hunting happens to be daytime only, ie coyotes, prairie dogs, etc. then you could get by. What reticle does the NF come with? The 2.5-10x38 is a nice compact hunting scope!

The 6500's are nice scopes for the money IMO. They have a pretty good track record for durability and they track fine from what I have heard. Many scopes don't track true to their listed click adjustment but once you figure out what you click value is you will be fine.

If you are looking for a good deal then you may want to look at the Nitrex line. They are re-branded Weavers. The TR1 is their grand slam line and the TR2 is their super slam. They have a great rebate on them now. I think Natchez has them for sale. Very good quality for the price. Excellent glass, durability, and turret design. you likely only need a duplex reticle so turret design may be the decider!

HTH

i am finishing up a savage rifle in 260 remington w shilen heavy barrel. gun will be used for mostly target and some hunting. my question is i have a local guy i know that is willing to sell me a NF 2.5x10x24 for 800.00 the scope i was originally looking at was a elite 6500 2.5x16 out of the two scopes what would you choose and why. i have 2 NF already and have been very pleased w them. never owned a 6500 but heard their click value isnt alway consistant. i will be dialing in ranges, no holdover. so of the two what would you guys suggest. thanks

For $800.00 you can find a realy good scope with good reticle,objective lens size(40 or 50mm)
and a 30mm tube with side focus and a mil dot retical.

I like the Leupold's but there are others in that price range.

The 24 mm objective is not very good for gathering light especially at longer distance.

I know you said ether the NF or the Elite but this is just my opinion and a 14x to 20x
on the top end would be better for targets.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.