Advice on reloader powders

bstomper

I am going to do load development in my 7mm RM using Barnes 145gn LXR and 150gn ABLR. I was quite impressed with low ES and speeds with RL16 in my 6.5 creedmoor and would like to give the RL powders a try in my 7mm. I want to use one of their newest temperature stable powders RL 23 or RL 26 because I hunt and shoot in temps from -25c to +25c. I have no desire to try anything other than temperature stable powders, the more temp stable the better. There seems to be limited load data on these powders so I`m looking for some info for a starting point for these two powders and some real life experiences and opinions with them.

You can use R22 load data to start for R23. They are very close in burn rate

Alliant website has data to get you started with R 26

Attachments

• 7293F1A7-E850-46BC-ADCC-2F2F1CABC118.png
    7293F1A7-E850-46BC-ADCC-2F2F1CABC118.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 123
I wasn't sure if could use the data from another bullet but I'm guessing as long as bullet weight is the same it should be a good base for astarting point. Is this correct? Would this the same with the Barnes all copper bullets?

Have you tried Alliants reloaders guide. I think you should be able to find something there that you can use. They have a recipe for RL26 with a Barnes 140 gr TSX. At least this would be a good start. Although they don't give much on the Barnes bullets. The Nosler Load Data site provides load data for RL19 and RL22 for the 140-150 gr bullets. Even though the data is for Nosler bullets and not Barnes, again it is a starting point.

I wasn't sure if could use the data from another bullet but I'm guessing as long as bullet weight is the same it should be a good base for astarting point. Is this correct? Would this the same with the Barnes all copper bullets?
Solid copper is different than lead. Bullets are longer at given weights, so it's better to go down in weight, i.e., if you use a 140 lead core, drop down to 120 gr. Solid copper. Weight retention with Barnes is usually 95-100%. Hammer copper are a whole other animal and options should be discussed with Steve or Brian at Hammer Bullets. BTW - Hammers work great. I got 2 DRT one-shot kills in Montana in November. One on a muley buck and the other on a cow elk. Both flopped over when hit. Never took another step. They're pricey, but they work!

Solid copper is different than lead. Bullets are longer at given weights, so it's better to go down in weight, i.e., if you use a 140 lead core, drop down to 120 gr. Solid copper. Weight retention with Barnes is usually 95-100%. Hammer copper are a whole other animal and options should be discussed with Steve or Brian at Hammer Bullets. BTW - Hammers work great. I got 2 DRT one-shot kills in Montana in November. One on a muley buck and the other on a cow elk. Both flopped over when hit. Never took another step. They're pricey, but they work!
It`s funny you mention Hammer bullets because a shooting buddy of mine is iterested in trying them. He called them yesterday and got a price to get a box shipped to Canada (thats where we live) and by the time everything was said and done it was $216 cdn for a box. A little to rich for my blood. lol
I`ve heard good thing about the barnes bullets and the new RL powders thats why I want to give them a try. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info guys that`s the kind of stuff I was wanting to hear.
I have been shooting 175 gn ABLR and H1000 with an alright load but I want it faster and more accurate for a bit longer ranges. It`s a wincheseter model 70 7mm rem mag with 9.5 twist. The research that I have done along with talking to a few guys has me thinking that I am shooting to heavey of a bullet so I am going to give the lighter bullets a try to see if I can tighten things up. Thought I would use this as an oppertunity to try out reloader 23 or 26 being that I had real good results with RL 16 in my creedmoor.

Last edited:
RL23 is very very stable and is equal to or better to Hodgdon's Extreme powders. RL26 is fairly stable until you get up to 80-85 degrees as others have mentioned.
Wouldnt have to worry about those temps, only shooting that will be done in those temps will be shot gunning beer.lol
I think I will try RL23 first. It is more redilly available here

Wouldnt have to worry about those temps, only shooting that will be done in those temps will be shot gunning beer.lol
I think I will try RL23 first. It is more redilly available here
Haha. I would suggest using RL23 for 160gr and lighter bullets and RL26 for anything heavier. Both are excellent powders in my experience.

It`s funny you mention Hammer bullets because a shooting buddy of mine is iterested in trying them. He called them yesterday and got a price to get a box shipped to Canada (thats where we live) and by the time everything was said and done it was $216 cdn for a box. A little to rich for my blood. lol
I`ve heard good thing about the barnes bullets and the new RL powders thats why I want to give them a try. Thanks for the info.
Barnes are good bullets, have excellent weight retention and literally liquefy the lungs on deer and elk. It's been my experience that they just don't leave much of an exit wound though. Consequently, very little, if any, blood trail, especially with a heavy hide animal like an elk where the hide will slip over the smaller exit wound and eliminate most of the bleeding. Because the Barnes front petals peel back forming a sharp-edged cloverleaf shape, they "slice and dice" as they traverse the heart-lung area but they don't cause much hydraulic shock action like lead core and Hammer bullets do.

Thanks for the info guys that`s the kind of stuff I was wanting to hear.
I have been shooting 175 gn ABLR and H1000 with an alright load but I want it faster and more accurate for a bit longer ranges. It`s a wincheseter model 70 7mm rem mag with 9.5 twist. The research that I have done along with talking to a few guys has me thinking that I am shooting to heavey of a bullet so I am going to give the lighter bullets a try to see if I can tighten things up. Thought I would use this as an oppertunity to try out reloader 23 or 26 being that I had real good results with RL 16 in my creedmoor.
23 works great in my 6.5 x 284 Norma very temp stable 26 temp stable up to about 80° but higher velocity's than 23

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.