Advice on Re-Barreling my 22-250

Majja13

I currently have a CZ 550 Varmint in 22-250. It is starting to get to then end of its life. I want to keep it as a 22-250, but wan tot go to the heavy's instead of 40-50 grs (currant rifle is 1:14). I was thinking of going to a Bartlin 1:7 so that I can play with the 80-90's that are out and coming out.

Thinking that this going to give me a bit better wind bucking ability when I am in Wyoming shooting B-Dogs. I was going to continue with a Heavy Varmint profile in the 26" range. in the CZ the mags are very long so I am not worried about that.

I have not seen much on heavys in the 22-250 I just wanted to make sure my thinking was not flawed.

Your on the right track. A 1:7, 1:7.5, or 1:8 will work fine. I shoot the 80.5 Berger. It is most accurate and deadly bullet I've personally shot. Goodluck

Joe S.

You shouldn't have to many troubles with what you are thinking but you would need to check stabilization/twist rate charts of the projectile you want to use.
90gr is up there but stabilization isn't so much about just weight, its about the length as well.
I use a load in my 1:14 with a 70gr Speer without issue & even though it goes against all charts for a 1:14 it works due to the length!

Speer Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 70 Grain Semi-Spitzer
Technical Information
  • Caliber: 22 Caliber
  • Bullet Diameter: .224"
  • Bullet Weight: 70 Grains
  • Bullet Length: 0.808"

My usual projectile is this one, you will see the length for comparison
22cal-55gr-BTV-Bullet-Info.jpg

Also just be aware that if you do go a 1:7 if you try to use 40gr in it the projectiles could very well disintegrate as they exit the barrel due to excessive spin?

On a side note, there are a few factory offerings by some manufactures in 1:10 & 1:9 but they are few & far between.
If would be great if manufactures would offer the .22-250 in 2 different twist option like Tikka does with the .223!

Sounds like a solid plan. There's lots of great .224 bullets in that weight range. If you're not dead set on the .22-250, then check out the 22 Creedmoor as well. It's basically a commercial equivalent of the .22-250 Ackley improved. It can push 75-80gr bullets around 3400-3500fps! That would be an awesome Varmint cartridge, fast, flat, bucks the wind, and still blows up when it hits something haha.

Sounds like a solid plan. There's lots of great .224 bullets in that weight range. If you're not dead set on the .22-250, then check out the 22 Creedmoor as well. It's basically a commercial equivalent of the .22-250 Ackley improved. It can push 75-80gr bullets around 3400-3500fps! That would be an awesome Varmint cartridge, fast, flat, bucks the wind, and still blows up when it hits something haha.
My buddy I primarily go P-Dog hunting with uses a 223 and is always blown away by the devastation when I hit the little buggers with the 250. I will look into the 22 C thanks for the info.

You shouldn't have to many troubles with what you are thinking but you would need to check stabilization/twist rate charts of the projectile you want to use.
90gr is up there but stabilization isn't so much about just weight, its about the length as well.
I use a load in my 1:14 with a 70gr Speer without issue & even though it goes against all charts for a 1:14 it works due to the length!

Speer Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 70 Grain Semi-Spitzer
Technical Information

• Caliber: 22 Caliber
  • Bullet Diameter: .224"
  • Bullet Weight: 70 Grains
  • Bullet Length: 0.808"
My usual projectile is this one, you will see the length for comparison
View attachment 150887

Also just be aware that if you do go a 1:7 if you try to use 40gr in it the projectiles could very well disintegrate as they exit the barrel due to excessive spin?

On a side note, there are a few factory offerings by some manufactures in 1:10 & 1:9 but they are few & far between.
If would be great if manufactures would offer the .22-250 in 2 different twist option like Tikka does with the .223!
I may also have to try this before it gets to shot out. This rifle has never been to picky in the lighter loads. IT has always shot V-Max, Nosler Varmageden's, Sierras well.

My 22-6MM is an 8T. The most accurate bullet I ever shot in it was the 80gr A-Max. A friend had a 22-250AI with a 9T. His most accurate bullet was the same one. Be careful with Twist. Mine started blowing them up in the air at about 500rds. He is still shooting his. You might be ok with an 8 in a standard 22-250. I was shooting them about 3450. There is no free lunch with these things. Shoot a long .22 bullet fast and you start seeing little puffs of smoke downrange when the throat begins to get even a little rough. Those don't hit any target. I would not go faster than a 8 unless I was just going to shoot monos.

I may also have to try this before it gets to shot out. This rifle has never been to picky in the lighter loads. IT has always shot V-Max, Nosler Varmageden's, Sierras well.
The good thing about it is the 2 different projectiles with 2 different powders ended up being within 1moa of each other at 100mtrs.
Pretty amazing to be able to just swap one for the other in the field & know your still bang on.
Haven't gone into further out testing with the 70gr but the arc would start to change dramatically after that I recon

I just built a 22-250 with 1-7 twist throated for the 95 SMK. I believe i could have gotten away with a 1-7.5 twist. I'm shooting the 95s @ 3050fps with plenty of room for speed. I could get around 3200fps with RE-26 but didn't see the need when it shot so well at 3050. I might get a little more barrel life too. I believe the last time i shot at 1000 yards my elevation was 24.75 moa.

1-7 is a good bet. You can shoot up to the 90s on the high end, possibly 95s. On the low end youll be able to work with 65s on up. Anything lower and you get into too much jump to the rifling. Your freebore should hover around the 1" mark

Another thing you might consider is going to the 22-250AI. Not really for the increased performance, which is there, but case life is forever if you don't really push it.

Plus 1 for a 22Creed. My 1:8 twist 22-250 will be getting a 22creed 1;7.7 soon. Alpha is making brass and so is Hornaday. Very popular cartridge.

If factory 22-250 heavies 75+ were widely available and accurate I might reconsider but when reloading might as go with a "better" cartridge. 22creed

The 22 Creedmoor with 8" twist is perfect for your purpose.
I've shot a number of 22 wildcats and it is by far my favorite!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.