Advice on P14 / M17 action for build idea

Varmtr

Looking for advice mostly on the P14 which were 303 British but the M17 is pretty much the same except different bolt / extractor and in 3006 and a few slight things here and there.

How are these action like for strength compared to modern stuff. I know they leave the old SMLE and the No4's for dead.
As I'm looking at building a 6mm / 303 Epps why because I can, and to get the full potential the others simply wouldn't hold up.
The 303 Epps is the 303 British blown out and shoulder at 35 degrees and the neck shortened slightly.
I have seen a 25/303 Epps built on a P14 in a article over here where the author said, it was running about 100 - 150 fps slower than the 257 Wby Mag. All this and running about I think 10gr's of less powder till he struck pressure sign's.

Anyway advice sought on a P14 action either Eddystone, Winchester etc etc.

Cheers
Rossco

Winchester and Remington marked are the most desirable. The Eddystone has shown some heat treat problems. Some mighty magnums have been built on P14s and P17s. They take alot more work than a Mauser and more than a Springfield '03 or '03-A3. Parts are still available, here in the USA.

Thanks for that Shortgrass.
A Win or Rem in P14 will pop up for sale but so far mostly Eddystone's, parts wise over here it can be difficult to find for these rifles.
I have also seen a Mauser 98 converted to 303 / 25 which is up for sale.

I'd be leary (wary)of the '98. It was never designed to feed rimmed cases, unless it's a Siamese Mauser. Here in the US, P14s & P17s are to valuable in original form to 'sporterize'.

Shortgrass not sure what Mauser 98 it is.

Most of the P14's here have been sporterised a few pop up in original condition but alas asking for reasonable $$$ which is fair enough.
But I'll keep my eye out for either a Win or Rem P14. I spoke to my barrel guy who has a 303 Epps / 6mm reamer so good there.
Parts wise is hard for them they do pop up or we have a couple of shops who manage to source parts for them. But nothing like whats over your way, and with the current laws and customs getting them out of US to Australia can be a right ol night mare.

A P14 has popped up for sale here by the serial number its a Winchester as the prefix before the number is a W. But also mentioned has had a Springfield Armoury 303-25 conversion which I doubt.

G'Day Shortgrass
The P14 is a conversion M17 I think, too 303 the bolt still has the mauser extractor from what I was told.
The problem is I can't get to see it as its on the other side of the country to test feeding extra. Did the bolt face for the 3006 differ from the 303 version as in was it recessed of flat faced for the 303.
Cheers
Rossco

Just a update Shortgrass.
Now a proud owner of a Winchester P14 in 303.
Has a Leupold bridge mount so will machineup a pic rail for it. Also a Bell and Carlson stock as well, which that will also be swapped out as well.
Shortgrass you are right the bolt face does have a slight rim from the 8 o'clock to about 4 o'clock.

Now I have everything organised except the trigger both Timney & Dayton Traister triggers don't go down far enough min around 1 - 1.5lb.
I'm looking around a 10oz trigger does anyone else know of a trigger that will fit and adjust down to this weight.

Cheers
Rossco

Here in Canada there appears to be lots of P14's and P17's. I've owned ones made by Remington, Winchester, and Eddystone (which I think was owned by Remington) but my all time favorites were made by BSA in England. They come with the dogleg bolt handle altered. I've built a number of rifles on both actions. The P14 has the .303 bolt face which is larger than the 30-06 although the 06' face can be opened up with some judicious work with a dremel. The most powerful round I converted a P17 to was a .300 Weatherby. The long throw bolt and the ease of lengthening the mag. helped make the conversion doable but I needed an real expert to make it feed properly. Messing with feed rails, ramps and the slope on the front of an extractor so you can single feed all require a deft touch. After using lots of then and still owning a couple I have come to the conclusion that it is a great action for a heavy booting calibre because it is both strong and heavy - no lightweight sporter here. For what it is worth I have never converted one to a cock-on-opening (not worth it to me) and their standard safety is one of the best ever on a military conversion.

Be awhile back but I've seen a few of them turned into .308 & 358 Norma Magnums along with .225 Win. I had one in a .308 Norma Mag, it was a great combo. Just brought out an old memory.:)
Cheer's

For awhile A-Square built very large case rifles on P-14 and M-17 actions, including the .338 A-Square, a slightly shortened .338 x .378 Wby case.

Way too much in my opinion.

Tom

Update
Currently machining a new firing pin out of grade 5 titanium and with a new main spring lock time will be reduced a fair bit.
Have my new barrel S/S slightly heavier than the Rem varmint profile chambered in 6.5 Epps with a 1:9 twist at 28" long and fluted.
Now organising a new stock for it and export permits as well.
Cheers
Rossco

Your 1-9 twst. should handle most 129-130g bullets, but a 1-8 twst. would have been my preference. It'll handle the lighter bullets, too. One of my regrets is using a 1-9 twst. when I built my 6.5/06 on a 1909 model '98 while I was in gunsmithing school, 23 yrs. ago. It wears the second stock I made by hand from a blank and I rust blued the metal for a grade when we had Advanced Bluing (got an A on it). Oh well! It is what it is! Shoots 129g-130g bullets just fine, but doesn't like 140s at all.... On those cock on closing actions, I never do the cock on opening conversion. As again, they are what they are.

Just an update.
Waiting on paper work to get a stock exported from the good ol US. The new titanium firing pin is done.
On Shortgrass advice I may put the 1:9 twist barrel aside and look at a 1:8 or maybe a Bartlein gain twist barrel starting at 1:10 and finish in 1:8. But as I can only go by reports I have yet to see one in the flesh.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.