Advice on next rifle purchase

I must have gotten lucky on my 110 High Country in 30-06.

The machining is rough and it fouls quite a bit, but it shoots 175 grain Terminal Ascents Sub Minu

I must have gotten lucky on my 110 High Country in 30-06.

The machining is rough and it fouls quite a bit, but it shoots 175 grain Terminal Ascents Sub Minute.
I attached a screen shot from a year ago of my email asking their CS Sr. Rep telling me their accuracy standard for heavy barrels is 1" or better @ 100yd. I just got off the phone with someone at Savage discussing my current issue and he was telling me their accuracy standard is, 1.5" @ 100yd. I told him that was wrong. He asked for my email showing this. So I sent it. (pic attached) I also asked him who thinks 1.5" @ 100yd is great? Especially from a 6/5? That's nothing special. He had no reply. This is why you keep emails folks.

Attachments

• Comments from Nick.png
    Comments from Nick.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 74
E79A98BA-5B0B-4FFC-B35A-2AF0BE902E8B.jpeg
Plus 1 on the Savage comments and staying away from them. 10 years ago or better I'd swear by them but their QC and CS has gone to crap. I have a brand new Savage right now with major issues and CS hasn't even responded to my emails and this is going on 3 weeks. I've been hung up on twice when trying to call them as well before even talking to someone and on hold for 40 plus minutes each time. These are pics of the machining they call acceptable, these marks are felt when cycling the bolt and the gun will not chamber a round! Tried multiple different types of factory ammo. If you do get one chambered and get to shoot it you can not lift the bolt to extract…. Hmnnn wonder what that is lol. Anyways I'd stay clear of them as others have stated!!

Attachments

• 48D76AFC-BF5C-4324-A1EF-A69582B848D9.jpeg
    48D76AFC-BF5C-4324-A1EF-A69582B848D9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 840EBCF0-DC80-4354-9B37-A7C94328BEE6.jpeg
    840EBCF0-DC80-4354-9B37-A7C94328BEE6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • FA1E652D-4403-419E-9F4C-259107731A51.jpeg
    FA1E652D-4403-419E-9F4C-259107731A51.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
That is a shame!Savage built their reputation on being well built.So sad.
Remington did it too.
I agree and I own many Savages! I'd have to count them but I believe the number would easily be over 10 of them. All of them are absolutely great and tac drivers out of the box. The last 2 I have got are either coincidentally duds or part of the problem lots of others have posted about. I hope they pull through this mess of times we are in and get their act back together!!!

View attachment 297805Plus 1 on the Savage comments and staying away from them. 10 years ago or better I'd swear by them but their QC and CS has gone to crap. I have a brand new Savage right now with major issues and CS hasn't even responded to my emails and this is going on 3 weeks. I've been hung up on twice when trying to call them as well before even talking to someone and on hold for 40 plus minutes each time. These are pics of the machining they call acceptable, these marks are felt when cycling the bolt and the gun will not chamber a round! Tried multiple different types of factory ammo. If you do get one chambered and get to shoot it you can not lift the bolt to extract…. Hmnnn wonder what that is lol. Anyways I'd stay clear of them as others have stated!!
Good grief! Looks like they carved out the action with a chisel!! Sounds like the chamber isn't milled straight! Or was milled with too tight a tolerance to allow easy extraction. I said the same yesterday about their history. It used to be 25 yrs ago that you couldn't give a Savage rifle away. Then about 15 years ago they must have hired some people who cared about quality. Today their too caught up in stocks with cheek risers and camo patterns an I think they've got side tracked. When you say email, did you go to their site and submit a request? I did last Week and after not hearing anything for 6 business days, I called them today! In my experience the last 3 years, they won't call you even though you have to submit your phone number. I'd also call them early in the morning if you can. I had a 15 minute discussion and the rep sent me an RMA to return the rifle. He said he would put in the notes to expedite this. We will see.. Hunting season is upon us and I have and Elk and Muley tag. Thank God I have other rifles that shoot, because this last one will never see the woods. Keep us posted on your progress with them!

Last edited:
Good grief! Looks like they carved out the action with a chisel!! Sounds like the chamber isn't milled straight! Or was milled with too tight a tolerance to allow easy extraction. I said the same yesterday about their history. It used to be 25 yrs ago that you couldn't give a Savage rifle away. Then about 15 years ago they must have hired some people who cared about quality. Today their too caught up in stocks with cheek risers and camo patterns an I think they've got side tracked. When you say email, did you go to their site and submit a request? I did last Week and after not hearing anything for 6 business days, I called them today! In my experience the last 3 years, they won't call you even though you have to submit your phone number. I'd also call them early in the morning if you can. I had a 15 minute discussion and the rep sent me an RMA to return the rifle. He said he would put in the notes to expedite this. We will see.. Hunting season is upon us and I have and Elk and Muley tag. Thank God I have other rifles that shoot, because this last one will never see the woods. Keep us posted on your progress with them!
The email I used was on their website under the contact us link for customer service. It had me leave my email and phone number and said they would get back to me but still have not got anything. I will try them in the morning, it has been evening when I have attempted so fingers crossed I get someone in the a.m. Thanks for the advise and hopefully they see comments like these and turn things around!!

I don't disagree with you there. I have two Model 10T's in 308. Both shoot bug holes with my hand loads. The model 10's are great rifles! Bought them in 2013 & 2014.
20 years ago you couldn't give a Savage rifle away. Then they got their act together for a few years. But now.. it's a grab bag! They don't seem to care. The first 110 was in 6.5PRC. I had a NF FFP on it. The gun wouldn't group into 2" at 100 yards. They did an accuracy test on it and, it failed. So they sent me another. These two rifles were made a year part. Guess what... yep.. wouldn't shoot either. And both ejected spent brass with striations. So they let me get out of the caliber and model. I got the RW. Guess what.. yep, I'm done with Savage.
Sorry to hear about your experiences. I've never bought one of the new Savages. I purposefully buy used rifles for the action and then build it out with a Shilen barrel, Timney trigger, and aluminum bedded stock. Basically/almost a custom build for the price if a nicer factory rifle. It's a great recipe, IMO.

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I've never bought one of the new Savages. I purposefully buy used rifles for the action and then build it out with a Shilen barrel, Timney trigger, and aluminum bedded stock. Basically/almost a custom build for the price if a nicer factory rifle. It's a great recipe, IMO.
That's actually a great idea. I'll say after these last 3 Savage rifles of which I only have 1 now and, its on its way back, I won't be looking at Savage anymore.

Hands down my fav all around caliber is the 280ai. I don't know of a more efficient option, that will take down bigger animals, has less felt recoil, and offers factory ammo.
Right on the heels of the 7rem mag that you like, without the recoil or other issues of a belted magnum.
My guess is there's a reason the ammo makers decided to mass produce a wildcat cartridge that was once only available as a hand load.
If I could only have one rifle, and thank the good Lord and the Constitution that's not the case, it would have to be my .280ai.
One last plug.....in general guys don't shoot well with rifles that make them flinch. I know I don't. I practice quite a bit but am by no means a high volume shooter. The lack of recoil allows me to be comfortable, which helps my accuracy and confidence. It's one thing if you're shooting everything at 75yds.....but every move and mistake is magnified once you get out to 200yds, which is still a short range shot to many guys.
Good luck and get yourself a rifle that you enjoy shooting and you'll shoot it more, and become a better shot.

RE EDIT: Owning a 7mm RM, I completely agree with you. I had a custom built for long-range and anything less than 200 yards on whitetail tears them up. (168gr @2975 fps MV handload, 0.26 MOA) That's why I still own an old 30-30. 😊. A 7mm mag will kill elk easily.
After having a 7mag for 20years I had to have something new. But rather than go bigger I went smaller by .5 mm . My 6.5 PRC is a wonderful gun! Shoots with similar ballistics to the 7 mag and kills like it too!

I would look at a "tame" .338 as well. Unfortunately, 338 WM is probably the most prevalent, but a 338 Norma Mag would be great, minus ammo availability.
Another option is the stay on the porch 416 Barrett! Never was unable to find bullets or cases with primers in. Shoots any animal at any distance 😄

No one that I've seen has addressed the fact that he doesn't like the wood stock. If he's happy with the performance of the 280, get a new stock. 😊 Or, perhaps he suffers from the same affliction we all have. 🤔
Huh,
You mean either we don't read the opening post properly and digress.

Or

We struggle to make a decision on which rifle we need next?