Advice on next rifle purchase

As far as make, stay away from Savage. In 3 years I've sent two 110 High Country rifles back and one Ridge Warrior. All have failed their accuracy standard and none of their chambers were polished. All brass had striations on fired cases. They know this but refuse to correct in QC.
. Get a Tikka, Christiansen Arms, or something else.
I must have gotten lucky on my 110 High Country in 30-06.

The machining is rough and it fouls quite a bit, but it shoots 175 grain Terminal Ascents Sub Minute.

Another chambering you might be happy with is the 7 LRM, designed by Gunwerks. Kind of between the 7 Rem Mag and the 28 Nosler. Expect about 3,000 fps with the 180 Hybrids with a 24" tube. Current brass is good. I really like mine.

for both deer and elk, the 300 win mag and the 338 win mag will do what you want to do.
get the 300 win mag in 1:8" do you can shoot from 110 grain to 240 grain slugs
for the 338 win mag you will need the same twist, 1:8" so you can shoot 165 grain to 300 grain slugs.
I have used my 338 Win Mag to shoot deer and elk; sometimes moose and bear.
my 300 win mag was very good for deer with 125 grain slugs and potnent with 180 grain slugs for elk, I just wish I had been able to hoot heavier ones for longer ranges.

I have read through all of the recommendations here and for the most part everyone seems to prefer what they have and recommend it to you. That is all well and good however some thought has to be taken on which rifles fire ammunition that is readily available just about anywhere, even if you reload your own. Right now .308, 7.62mm x 51, .270, 30-06, 7mm Rem mag and 300 Win Mag are all pretty much back on the shelves while some of the less popular including the 6mm, 6.5mm any of the PRC's or 338's are nowhere to be found. Locally around here there are a variety of bullets available in .223, 7MM, 270 and .30 calibers are all back on the shelves. Not that really matters right now since primers and powder are still in short supply. The manufacturers seem to be concentrating on ammunition that is in constant demand. A lot of the calibers that were mentioned would be excellent choices if only ammunition was available, or reloading components. When my Dad was teaching me how to shoot when I was little his advice was that if you stick to the popular cartridges that are always available in factory loads then the chances of ammo being available if you need it is great. His favorite was the 30-06. When I was in the Army I was introduced to the M-14 and the 7.62 x 51 (308) which I fell in love with. I had a M-14 when I was in Viet Nam until they pried it out of my hands and shoved a M-16 back into them. I was not a happy camper going up against AK-47's and being outranged by 200 meters or more. OOPS got off the subject, My recommendation would be either the 300 Win Mag or 7MM Rem Mag simply because they accurate, ammo is pretty much readily available most of the time unlike some of the other cartridges mentioned. I have a Browning AB3 in 300 Win Mag that shoots 1/2 MOA with 180 gr premium ammo. I reload and while have been able to match the factory stuff, the groups don't get any smaller. My friend has a Winchester Model 70 in 7MM Rem Mag and it suffers from the same fate, 1/2 MOA groups. The choice is up to you but remember you have to be able to get ammo if you run out during a hunt and are long way from your reloading bench. Good Luck

If you are looking at 300 WM my 2 cents is to go 300 PRC to get a little more capacity and wiggle room seating if it's a factory rifle.
If we're going to a 3.7" mag box length rifle, aka 375 H&H length, then the RUM wins hands down.
No point going to a cartridge that doesn't fit in a standard length action and gain 50fps difference.
The only other true gain would be a 30 Nosler, or any other Nosler flavour you like on a standard length action.
Just saying.

Cheers.
P. S. Funny how I can build a 300WM on a Rem 700 platform and still have the bullet heal just below the neck with a 215-230g Berger…this is not a new concept and the PRC is still requiring the same length action to do so.

My observations on the performance of the 280, regardless of bullet selection or weight, is to steer you toward something larger bore. The 280 is a little less of the good things you find in the fast "magnums," but at the cost of a little less recoil.
Going bigger, while I love a 30, i think means going past a 338. I have seen magic happen at 35 caliber. 35 Whelen brass are made from '06, 270, 280, etc. That eliminates the availability problem of half your newly required components. Bullets in 35 are always scarce, now is no exception. But the demand for .358" always seems to get a run of each bullet annually. And you can use .357" jacketed pistol bullets in a pinch.
I realize this a long range forum, but we already left that boat behind discussing a straight 280. If you are wanting to go long range, a fast 7 or 30 is a lot more than the 280. A lot. And you increase effective range a lot over a 280. Especially using soft bullets like some Berger or AMAX/ELDM.
So back to bigger bore, if you're willing to cut some distance for power: 375 h&h was mentioned. It is proven, and you can use the Speer 270 to greater results than the 280, at near the same trajectory. The next most popular big'un as far as ammo seems to be the 45/70. Thats a capable medium/long range round in the right gun, but I am thinking a lever gun with semi-custom ammo like Buffalo Bore or Garrett. If you have killed with 12 ga slugs, you know of what I speak. Otherwise, think of broad, deep wounds in almost all critters, from prairie dogs to moose. I have not killed said moose, but others have documented those results well.
I have killed with flat nosed cast bullets and will again. Kills are decisive and spectacular, though ranges are limited compared to your 280.

If you really like the 280, the 7mm Rem Mag is the next logical step. About 30% more recoil, and 50% greater ballistic performance with heavier (160-175gn) bullets! I use 140gn Rem Corelokts at shorter range, and 175 premiums beyond 400 yds. I love the versatility of the 7mm Rem Mag!

A Tikka T3 or T3-X in .300 wsm will be a good upgrade and they are very accurate out of the box. They have a 1" MOA guarantee, and respond well to reloading. My .300 wsm shoots 180 partitions under 3/4" more that adequate for elk.

Rifles don't have to cost a mint to be accurate. $500-600 will get you a Brownin AB3 in your 7mm Mag-300 (WM or WSM) as well as other common calibers.

I ended up with about 2000 primed 308 brass, and bulk 308 bullets. My problem is the only 308s I had were target rifles. I didn't want to ruin those barrels so I despised on a cheap 308 to burn up that ammo. Ended up finding a super sale on an AB3. The real surprise was the accuracy. Bulk Hornady 180 gr SPBT gave me less the 1/2 in at 100 yards. 175 SMKs somewhat better.

Todays modest priced $500-600 guns shoot as well as those $3000-5000 guns.
I have to disagree with you on that! First for me close range is 200 out to 6 or 800. Most of, we'll all of the last four elk and last two goats were taken over 1,100 yds. Not that I don't like factory rigs I'm not trusting them at the 1,000 to 2,000 yd shots

If we're going to a 3.7" mag box length rifle, aka 375 H&H length, then the RUM wins hands down.
No point going to a cartridge that doesn't fit in a standard length action and gain 50fps difference.
The only other true gain would be a 30 Nosler, or any other Nosler flavour you like on a standard length action.
Just saying.

Cheers.
P. S. Funny how I can build a 300WM on a Rem 700 platform and still have the bullet heal just below the neck with a 215-230g Berger…this is not a new concept and the PRC is still requiring the same length action to do so.

Wasn't talking builds as stated. Not a supporter just pointing out the difference in a factory rifle, that's all. Your correct.

I have to disagree with you on that! First for me close range is 200 out to 6 or 800. Most of, we'll all of the last four elk and last two goats were taken over 1,100 yds. Not that I don't like factory rigs I'm not trusting them at the 1,000 to 2,000 yd shots
Trust what you want, but if a gun is accurate it is accurate, regardless of if it's a factory rig or not.