Advice on next rifle purchase

280rem1

I need some help with a decision on next rifle. I currently have 280 rem which i love but it's got a wood stock and I really just want something new but maybe a little larger caliber. Was thinking 7 mag or 300 win or wsm? I know the 7 mag and 280 rem are somewhat similar with the same bullet but really impressed on ballistics of the 7 mag. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Oh, this would be primarily deer but want to also be a good all around caliber for elk. Thx

If you're looking to a magnum-y thing in 7mm, avoid belted magnums. Belts just make things harder. I'd look at 7RSAUM or 7WSM or 7-300WSM. Upside of all those is they're short action so if you load to SA length you can end up with a lighter rifle. The belt-less brass on all of them is way superior. I've been wanting to look at something like a 7PRC but it'll be a couple years before I pick that project up.

EDIT: From my experience, 7mm magnums on deer are best left to shots over 200yrds. Much closer and the meat damage in my experience goes WAY up. I must note that my <200yrds experience with 7mags on game is usually at something like 30ft to 35yrds which is a little close for most rifles.

My "go to" for many years was the .280 Rem. A few years ago I made the switch to a .280 Ackley Improved and am more than satisfied with results. It is right on heels of 7 mag with using less powder and no belt (not that it matters). Shoots same Bullets and recoil is noticeably less. I shoot quite a bit for most of year so recoil can be an issue even tho I have a brake on my rifle. Can't make a mistake either way with calibers mentioned as plenty of different rifle manufacturers, brass, components, and a lot of positive feedback and results from quite a few members on this site. Enjoy the process!

I have had various 7mm rifles. I really like the 7mm rem mag but if you haven't loaded for it much.... Then you will probably find an accurate load in a shorter amount of time with a cartridge like the 7mm saum, 7mm Sherman Short or one of Sherman's other 7mm cartridges. That being said, I can find accurate loads reasonably fast in 7mm rem mag but I've spent a lot of time loading for them. In a time when components are scarce & expensive, you don't want to be burning through alot of components to find an accurate load.

A belt makes zero difference once it's fired and the brass is just the same as any other brass….
If you want to step up, a 30 cal is a good choice, however having 2 rifles in the same cal with different ballistics is not a bad thing
For example, in 6.5 I have 6.5x47 and a few 264WM's. In 7mm I have 7-08 and 7STW, in 25 cal I have a few 25-06's and a 257Bee. In 30 cal I have 300Bee, 300WM's (5) and 300 RUM. In 33 cal I have 338-06, 338WM's (3) and a 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°. I also have in 22 cal 222 Rem, 22-250 and 22-250AI.
All have different performances.

Cheers.

I need some help with a decision on next rifle. I currently have 280 rem which i love but it's got a wood stock and I really just want something new but maybe a little larger caliber. Was thinking 7 mag or 300 win or wsm? I know the 7 mag and 280 rem are somewhat similar with the same bullet but really impressed on ballistics of the 7 mag. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Oh, this would be primarily deer but want to also be a good all around caliber for elk. Thx
I second 280 AI. Unless you just need a reason for a new rifle, then I'd suggest 300 H&H or WBY

Have a SAKO 300 Win Mag and it is a tack driver shooting 180 grain anything, loves Nosler most! It is plenty for anything you want to do. My personal choice for elk I use my custom CA in 338 RUM... I call it my elk thumper... one and done... shooting 225 or 250 grain Barnes TTSX or TSX.. good luck! There are some great calibers out there, really comes down to person preference..

I'm a big fan of the 30-06 as the do anything north american caliber. But I'm old school. It's hard to argue that the 300 win mag will do everything the 30-06 will, only better. With the 30-06 or 300 win mag and a 375 H&H you can hunt anything in the world. Heck you can leave the 300 win mag at home, just bring the 375 and still hunt anything furry that's huntable in the world.

This is rambling, but my $.02 is 300 win mag.

If you're looking to a magnum-y thing in 7mm, avoid belted magnums. Belts just make things harder. I'd look at 7RSAUM or 7WSM or 7-300WSM. Upside of all those is they're short action so if you load to SA length you can end up with a lighter rifle. The belt-less brass on all of them is way superior. I've been wanting to look at something like a 7PRC but it'll be a couple years before I pick that project up.

EDIT: From my experience, 7mm magnums on deer are best left to shots over 200yrds. Much closer and the meat damage in my experience goes WAY up. I must note that my <200yrds experience with 7mags on game is usually at something like 30ft to 35yrds which is a little close for most rifles.

RE EDIT: Owning a 7mm RM, I completely agree with you. I had a custom built for long-range and anything less than 200 yards on whitetail tears them up. (168gr @2975 fps MV handload, 0.26 MOA) That's why I still own an old 30-30. 😊. A 7mm mag will kill elk easily.

Last edited: