Advice on New Scope

MHO

I hope I can explain. All of my scopes have either the Nikon BDC reticle or Leupold BC reticle. When you change your magnification on the scope it changes your point of impact. So are my scopes First FP or Second FP. I am looking to purchase a new scope for my 300. Want to stay under $ 1,400.00. Is there a scope with the reticle similar to either the BDC or BC that is the same point of impact wherever your magnification is set to? Just tired of the cheat sheet pending what power the scope is on. Thanks for your input. You guys are a great source of knowledge and greatly appreciate it.

Is there any other scope under the $ 1,400.00 with FFP besides Vortex? Not that I will not look into buying a Vortex, just weighing my options. Any of you guys have any experience with the Vortex line of scopes.

MHO, Just so I understand what you are saying...... Neither the Nikon or Leupold should change POI when you change the power, IF your are talking about the main cross-hair. In order to use the BDC or BC ballistic aimpoints, you need to be on the highest power. This holds true for all for all 2nd plane scopes. If you want the ranging subtentions to remain constant on all power settings, then you need a 1st focal plane scope. Another FFP scope for your consideration is the Weaver Tactical Line, very nice scopes.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Mt4X,
Yes all Nikon and Leu are second FP. So they do change the point of impact when changing the magnification. Am I wrong on this?

MHO, No you are not wrong. They are second focal plane. The point of impact does not change with the magnification however. Now before you get confused, the point of impact I'm referring to is where the gun shoots when zeroed with the center cross-hair. Only the little circles on the BDC and the small hashes on the BC are affected by the magnification.

MT4xFore,
Thats what I thought. I appreciate it. Im just looking for a scope FFP within my budget that has the style of the BDC or BC reticle.

There just isn't much selection of FFP scopes with BDC-type reticles in your price range. About the only one I know of is the Meopta Meostar 3-12X56 with the 4B reticle (which is pretty darn nice and would be a killer choice for low light).

Other than that, Swaro used to offer their 3-12 PH in FFP with the TDS but I think it's discontinued--you'd have to find a used one.

If you raise your price, there is Premier Hunter/LT, NF F1, S&B....

Or if you can learn to use a standard Mil or MOA reticle instead, your options expand greatly. From the 3-9SS, to the 3-12 and 6-24 Bushnells, 3-15 and 4-20 Weaver and of course the PST's. Probably the best scope for the money under $1000 right now is the SS 5-20 with the group purchase. If you looked used, you could probably find an IOR 3-18X42 FFP for less than $1400.

We are very lucky to have that many choices these days. It wasn't long ago the IOR above was the only FFP with matching reticle/turrets available under $2500 (excluding made in China junk). Now we nearly have them coming out of our ears.

Jon,
Thank you for all your advice. I am checking out the scopes you recommended. Its looking like I will have to raise my budget a little. I will wait until I can but the right scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.