Advice on new scope purchase

Thank you. I looked at it and it's a very impressive scope but it is pretty heavy. Not that I plan on hiking miles a day but I would like to keep it somewhat light.
All my VX5HD scopes are just over one pound. I didn't put much concern in scope weight until building a lightweight hunting rifle. Then once I purchased my first VX5HD, I couldn't believe the weight difference. From clarity to turret upgrade, these scopes are really next generation leupolds.

My budget is not for a S&B or something of that range. I'd like to stay below $1,500 and really want to stay nearer to $1,000-1,200.

As far as illumination goes, I've never had a scope with illumination nor felt the "need" for it in my hunting situations. However, I did see a Leupold a few days ago that had a single red dot in the middle of the crosshairs that I liked. It was simple but it did pull my eye straight to the center of the sight picture but didn't take away from anything I don't think.

Now for my eyesight. I'm in my mid 40's and have astigmatism so at low light, such as early morning and close to the end of shooting light, I do struggle more. I have not been restricted to corrective lenses just yet but my eyesight isn't as good as it was 20 years ago. Nor is my hearing or head of hair lol.
I think the Meopta Meostar R1 is around that price.
I was going to get the Optika6 then decided to go on up. Before long I had to hurry up and buy one before I really got out of budget and went with a z8i Swaro.
Many guys in here have said the glass clarity on a Meopta will cost you double in other brands. So a $700 Meopta glass quality is about a $1400 in another brand.
I don't have a lot of first hand experience but did research a lot.

Hello all. I have older Vari X2's, VX2's and one Vari X3. I also have one Zeiss Conquest 3-18x42 that's several years old. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about either scope that I own.

I bought a Remington 700 in 338 RUM that I am needing a scope for. I am looking at either the VX5HD in 3-15x44 or the Zeiss V4 in 4-16x44. I don't care anything about fancy reticles and probably won't ever shoot past 500 yards with the rifle so I don't really see the need for exposed turrets and such for my application.

With all that being said, which scope would you guys that have had or at least looked through both recommend? I don't have a good sporting goods store around me that I can go take each outside and look through and compare. There are three things that I really would like to have. Great light gathering capability, clear glass edge to edge and to go along with the light gathering I don't want it to glare or washout in bright sunny conditions.

Thank you to each of you for taking the time to read and reply to my question.
Have a fully custom 338 RUM... it's topped with a Leupold VX5... zero complaints. But I'm quite fond of Leupold's ... never had any problems... only other one I'd personally consider is Nightforce... but they're heavy.. but built like a tank.

Have an opportunity to buy a VX3HD in 4.5-14. I think it was a 40mm objective but I don't remember. $600 out the door. I really want a VX5HD but it's twice the money and I'm not sure if my eye will see twice as good, a lot earlier/later in the day? How do I justify the price difference other than the fact that I "want" the VX5HD?

Have an opportunity to buy a VX3HD in 4.5-14. I think it was a 40mm objective but I don't remember. $600 out the door. I really want a VX5HD but it's twice the money and I'm not sure if my eye will see twice as good, a lot earlier/later in the day? How do I justify the price difference other than the fact that I "want" the VX5HD?
Watch the classifieds. I bought all 3 of my VX5HDs here "New" in box from a member and none were over 830.00. Warpig602 has one like your talking about for 880.00 shipped new in box. Last one he has. I've bought a couple from him. Great seller.

The 56mm is pricier. Won't notice huge amounts of low light gain but you will gain some. Weight will be more too. 19oz vs 23-24oz I think.
If I can see the difference I am okay with it but if I am spending $300 or more just to have a bigger bell on the end of my scope I'm not.

I've heard nothing but good from a few VX5HD shooters. If I wasn't scope heavy right now, I'd love to try one.

I myself don't prefer a side parallax knob for a lowlight hunting scope inside of 500 yards. I'm waiting for a Leica Magnus 1.5-10x44 or 1.8-12x50 , or maybe even a S&B PMII 3-12x50 to hit the right price point.

I'm gonna have to research the VX5HD more. Good luck with your purchase and please update this thread when you get it all together and shoot. Oh yea... and pics of your set up is always a good thing.

Will

I've heard nothing but good from a few VX5HD shooters. If I wasn't scope heavy right now, I'd love to try one.

I myself don't prefer a side parallax knob for a lowlight hunting scope inside of 500 yards. I'm waiting for a Leica Magnus 1.5-10x44 or 1.8-12x50 , or maybe even a S&B PMII 3-12x50 to hit the right price point.

I'm gonna have to research the VX5HD more. Good luck with your purchase and please update this thread when you get it all together and shoot. Oh yea... and pics of your set up is always a good thing.

Will
Thank you sir. I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help!

If I can see the difference I am okay with it but if I am spending $300 or more just to have a bigger bell on the end of my scope I'm not.
I would think you would definitely see the difference between them but can't say for sure.
Any others want to respond?

I would think you would definitely see the difference between them but can't say for sure.
Any others want to respond?
The 56 will be brighter at higher power for a few minutes on both ends of the day, but it is added weight and it is also mounted a great deal higher. If you have an adjustable comb that is ok, but it can make a comfortable cheek weld difficult on sporter style or non-adjustable stocks.

It will make a little difference but like anything else, is it worth the added cost. My 44mm scopes all provide plenty of extra light at dusk or dawn. I just keep the power at 3-5 power for maximum light. The 56mm will allow an extra number or two on the power knob while viewing in low light. Weight is a couple ounces more and as mentioned above, higher mounts will be needed for sure. I use low mounts on all my 44mm objectives even on straight taper barrels. Another thing to keep in mind is the better quality optics offer a brighter picture with smaller objectives than a less quality optic does with a 56mm objective. Won't matter since your talking about the same scope but quality beats quantity with scope specs.