Advice on new scope purchase

Hello all. I have older Vari X2's, VX2's and one Vari X3. I also have one Zeiss Conquest 3-18x42 that's several years old. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about either scope that I own.

I bought a Remington 700 in 338 RUM that I am needing a scope for. I am looking at either the VX5HD in 3-15x44 or the Zeiss V4 in 4-16x44. I don't care anything about fancy reticles and probably won't ever shoot past 500 yards with the rifle so I don't really see the need for exposed turrets and such for my application.

With all that being said, which scope would you guys that have had or at least looked through both recommend? I don't have a good sporting goods store around me that I can go take each outside and look through and compare. There are three things that I really would like to have. Great light gathering capability, clear glass edge to edge and to go along with the light gathering I don't want it to glare or washout in bright sunny conditions.

Thank you to each of you for taking the time to read and reply to my question.
Save some money and get one of the new VX3 HD 30mm 4.5-14x40. You can shoot out to 1000 yards with 14 power so your 500 shouldn't be an issue. The Wind Plex reticle will give you a quick and easy wind correction aiming solution and the 15 MOA elevation turret should cover 500 yards all for around $750.

That's my problem and why that does me no good, I don't know what all that means.
You might consider the Meopta optica 6 3-15 x 30 mm tube caped moa turrets second focalplane bdc diacro non battery iluminated reticle european glass 90 plus percent light tranmission 50 mm objective performs way above the cost 649.00 I would be surprised if you can find a negative review on these scopes

You might consider the Meopta optica 6 3-15 x 30 mm tube caped moa turrets second focalplane bdc diacro non battery iluminated reticle european glass 90 plus percent light tranmission 50 mm objective performs way above the cost 649.00 I would be surprised if you can find a negative review on these scopes
Thank you I'll check it out. That's the kind of help I need. I don't have much knowledge of scopes and am very appreciative of any and all advice.

Currently Meopta makes 5 different 2nd focal plain scopes in their Meopta/Optika6 series,and 5 different scopes offered in their 1st focal plain. These are all 30 mm tubes , it's worth your while and homework time. In reticles they offer 25 total ,just looking at my current manual that came with my new Meopta MeoPro Optika 6 scope .

Hello all. I have older Vari X2's, VX2's and one Vari X3. I also have one Zeiss Conquest 3-18x42 that's several years old. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about either scope that I own.

I bought a Remington 700 in 338 RUM that I am needing a scope for. I am looking at either the VX5HD in 3-15x44 or the Zeiss V4 in 4-16x44. I don't care anything about fancy reticles and probably won't ever shoot past 500 yards with the rifle so I don't really see the need for exposed turrets and such for my application.

With all that being said, which scope would you guys that have had or at least looked through both recommend? I don't have a good sporting goods store around me that I can go take each outside and look through and compare. There are three things that I really would like to have. Great light gathering capability, clear glass edge to edge and to go along with the light gathering I don't want it to glare or washout in bright sunny conditions.

Thank you to each of you for taking the time to read and reply to my question.
I have the V-4 you're considering, excellent glass and tracks well. The only down side is the thick cross hairs.

OP... what is your budget?

What top end power magnification would you like? Most scopes over 10x-12x will come with parallax adjustment.

Do you want or need side parallax?

Do you want or need illumination?

How is your vision? Glass clarity can be subjective person to person. Zeiss, Meopta, and VX5 have great glass, but S&B, Swarovski, Kahles, ZCO, and TT might appeal more to your eyes.... which brings me back to... what's your budget?

OP... what is your budget?

What top end power magnification would you like? Most scopes over 10x-12x will come with parallax adjustment.

Do you want or need side parallax?

Do you want or need illumination?

How is your vision? Glass clarity can be subjective person to person. Zeiss, Meopta, and VX5 have great glass, but S&B, Swarovski, Kahles, ZCO, and TT might appeal more to your eyes.... which brings me back to... what's your budget?
My budget is not for a S&B or something of that range. I'd like to stay below $1,500 and really want to stay nearer to $1,000-1,200.

As far as illumination goes, I've never had a scope with illumination nor felt the "need" for it in my hunting situations. However, I did see a Leupold a few days ago that had a single red dot in the middle of the crosshairs that I liked. It was simple but it did pull my eye straight to the center of the sight picture but didn't take away from anything I don't think.

Now for my eyesight. I'm in my mid 40's and have astigmatism so at low light, such as early morning and close to the end of shooting light, I do struggle more. I have not been restricted to corrective lenses just yet but my eyesight isn't as good as it was 20 years ago. Nor is my hearing or head of hair lol.

My budget is not for a S&B or something of that range. I'd like to stay below $1,500 and really want to stay nearer to $1,000-1,200.

As far as illumination goes, I've never had a scope with illumination nor felt the "need" for it in my hunting situations. However, I did see a Leupold a few days ago that had a single red dot in the middle of the crosshairs that I liked. It was simple but it did pull my eye straight to the center of the sight picture but didn't take away from anything I don't think.

Now for my eyesight. I'm in my mid 40's and have astigmatism so at low light, such as early morning and close to the end of shooting light, I do struggle more. I have not been restricted to corrective lenses just yet but my eyesight isn't as good as it was 20 years ago. Nor is my hearing or head of hair lol.
Look at the meopta optica 6 v 3-18 first focal plane with the 4D diachro reticle its a red dot in center that will enlarge as you increase magnification it is a no battery illuminated but illuminates too a degree hard too explain meopta is the only scope manufacturer that offers that relly good at dawn and dusk very quick target accusation under a 1000 around 700 to 800 bucks

Look at the meopta optica 6 v 3-18 first focal plane with the 4D diachro reticle its a red dot in center that will enlarge as you increase magnification it is a no battery illuminated but illuminates too a degree hard too explain meopta is the only scope manufacturer that offers that relly good at dawn and dusk very quick target accusation under a 1000 around 700 to 800 bucks
Thank you. I looked at it and it's a very impressive scope but it is pretty heavy. Not that I plan on hiking miles a day but I would like to keep it somewhat light.

VX5HD and don't look back.
I was thoroughly impressed with mine after being a VX3 guy. Night & day difference.
I'm really leaning heavily in that direction. Which model do you have? I'm looking at the 3-15, just haven't decided on objective size. I'm not 100% decided on the VX5 but keep going back to it and am yet to see any negative reviews for what I would do with it.