Advice on new scope purchase

One of the earlier posts mentioned eye relief with the 338 RUM and I think that is a good point. I'm sure if I got tagged by the scope I would be more likely to not shoot as well after that due to always worrying about getting hit again.

Either scope will be good. Invest in the best rings and bases you can afford with all that recoil it will be brutal on scope learned much lesson on a 300 rum that was hard on scopes.

Either scope will be good. Invest in the best rings and bases you can afford with all that recoil it will be brutal on scope learned much lesson on a 300 rum that was hard on scopes.
Do you have a recommendation on bases and rings? I've always used Leupold, Burris or the last set I bought was one of the DNZ base/ring setups.

In this case nightforce is a good option. Seakins/Hawkins. Would be my choice. I haven't had any bad things happen with the higher end burris I've never used dnz so can't speak to them. I'm not a fan of luepold two piece I will use their rails but that's about it

I purchased 2 HD5 in the 3X15 and am very happy with them. they replaced older Leupolds which will in turn replace an even older Leupold and a Redfield. I also picked up two 4.5X14s Leupolds with the 30 MM tubes and side focus with are very clear too at half the price of the HD5's. I like light rifles and the weight of these scopes is uner 20 ounces which is good for the 30 MM tube scopes. Sometimes mounts can be an issue as I like Talley two piece aluminum mounts and they are not always availabe for my rifles.

I find having a hashed reticle nice for hunting, once I get my zero, i can figure out my holds for different yardage with no need for scope adjustment in the field. When you have just a cross hair, i am just guessing the hold or need to make adjustments. The 338 rum will drop 40-50 inches at 500 yards, so that is 8-10 MOA or 6-7 MIL (i am looking at data for the 338 barnes 250 gr vor tx LR, 42.46 inches drop with a 100yrd zero) if you have moa hash marks, you choose the 8 moa hash and you are good. Just my thoughts.

I'm no optics expert but I do currently have around 30 scopes of various manufacture, including those you mentioned. All that said
I have to second all the votes for the leupold VX5 scopes. Given you don't want exposed turrets, max range of 500, and light gathering I would recommend the VX5 2-10. In my opinion it's as close to a perfect all around scope as there is. If you want to stay with a 1" tube I'd do another conquest, I currently have 4 of them and find they gather light better than the leupold VX3'S.