Advice on new scope purchase

Just a hunter

Hello all. I have older Vari X2's, VX2's and one Vari X3. I also have one Zeiss Conquest 3-18x42 that's several years old. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about either scope that I own.

I bought a Remington 700 in 338 RUM that I am needing a scope for. I am looking at either the VX5HD in 3-15x44 or the Zeiss V4 in 4-16x44. I don't care anything about fancy reticles and probably won't ever shoot past 500 yards with the rifle so I don't really see the need for exposed turrets and such for my application.

With all that being said, which scope would you guys that have had or at least looked through both recommend? I don't have a good sporting goods store around me that I can go take each outside and look through and compare. There are three things that I really would like to have. Great light gathering capability, clear glass edge to edge and to go along with the light gathering I don't want it to glare or washout in bright sunny conditions.

Thank you to each of you for taking the time to read and reply to my question.

Nothing wrong with the zeiss, but I'd go with the vx5. I like buying things made in America, and I have 2 of them that have been amazing. On par with the best glass I own. I bounced one down a mountain last November while bear hunting, and took a big chunk out of the elevation turret and 2 big dings to the bell, and had zero poi shift. I think they perform admiringly and are very lightweight.

Very appreciative of the replies everyone. I was leaning towards the Leupold before I posted the thread but wanted some opinions from the experts. Only thing that I feel that my Zeiss does better than my Leupolds is, to my eyes the glass appears a tad clearer and early morning/late evening the Zeiss gives me a few minutes more. However, the Zeiss that I currently own was considerably more expensive so I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. I think the two scopes I'm looking at now are closer though.

Hello all. I have older Vari X2's, VX2's and one Vari X3. I also have one Zeiss Conquest 3-18x42 that's several years old. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about either scope that I own.

I bought a Remington 700 in 338 RUM that I am needing a scope for. I am looking at either the VX5HD in 3-15x44 or the Zeiss V4 in 4-16x44. I don't care anything about fancy reticles and probably won't ever shoot past 500 yards with the rifle so I don't really see the need for exposed turrets and such for my application.

With all that being said, which scope would you guys that have had or at least looked through both recommend? I don't have a good sporting goods store around me that I can go take each outside and look through and compare. There are three things that I really would like to have. Great light gathering capability, clear glass edge to edge and to go along with the light gathering I don't want it to glare or washout in bright sunny conditions.

Thank you to each of you for taking the time to read and reply to my question.
I currently own a few of the VX5HD scopes. Two are 3-15x44. I love them. Can't compare these to your other consideration but these are excellent hunting scopes. Mine are fire dot models and I live them in low light. These are very bright scopes in low light but having the illuminated reticle really makes it shine.

Here is a thread that a lot of guys contributed to. I ended up getting a Meopta.
Very clear and bright.

Educate me on tube diameter and objective diameter. Will I gain anything with a 30mm tube other than travel? What gains come with a 50-56mm vs 40-44mm objective? Will one bring in more light or give more FOV?

Educate me on tube diameter and objective diameter. Will I gain anything with a 30mm tube other than travel? What gains come with a 50-56mm vs 40-44mm objective? Will one bring in more light or give more FOV?
In general bigger tubes allow for bigger interior lenses. The bigger objective lense will also allow for greater light transmission at dusk and dawn.
Now having said that there is a lot of other things that come into play. Glass quality and coatings especially. Coatings help keep light from being reflected off the lense allowing more light to make it through the scope.

In general bigger tubes allow for bigger interior lenses. The bigger objective lense will also allow for greater light transmission at dusk and dawn.
Now having said that there is a lot of other things that come into play. Glass quality and coatings especially. Coatings help keep light from being reflected off the lense allowing more light to make it through the scope.
Okay thank you for that. Does Meopta offer a simple duplex style reticle in a 3-15 or similar? Sorry, I am at work and trying to learn and look at everything but still do my job.

My brother in law has a VX 5. It is a very nice scope. I need to get with him and do a side by side comparison at dusk.
Be nifty if we could cover them up and have several guys look through them. Unbiased don't know which scope you are looking through test.

My brother in law has a VX 5. It is a very nice scope. I need to get with him and do a side by side comparison at dusk.
Be nifty if we could cover them up and have several guys look through them. Unbiased don't know which scope you are looking through test.
Yes that'd be an honest and unbiased test.