Advice on locating game after the kill

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by SavageHunter11, Oct 8, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. bearcat2

bearcat2 Well-Known Member

And in other places you aren't legally allowed to use them at all. Gotta love government, they always have to tell you what is best and what you have to do. . . even if they don't have a clue themselves.

Technologist likes this.
  2. SavageHunter11

SavageHunter11 Well-Known Member

I see you're well versed in how the US government works...

3. littlewhaler

littlewhaler Active Member

sorry , didn't post my message. All good.

4. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

If I am “not” looking at the downed animal, and need to go look....I mark the place from which I fired the shot. Then I can come back to the exact place I shot from, and reevaluate where the animal was at the time of the shot! I am colorblind, and blood with fall leaves is a problem. Part of my solution is to, get entrance and exit holes of substantial dimensions. They usually don’t go far, and are “leaking profusely”! memtb

lancetkenyon likes this.
  5. littlewhaler

littlewhaler Active Member

First I learned old school with compass and finding things in bad conditions. Terrain and weather and injury can mess u up but two compasses can make u very confident again finding your target. Doubted my heading few times but second compass confirmed first compass and away I go. Great subject that every hunter/hiker faces sooner or later. I try to make things simple/fool proof when alone.

Rich Coyle likes this.
  6. Tree Farmer

Tree Farmer Well-Known Member

Another vote for old school. A compass and pacing is generally foolproof, especially if you know the exact distance. If you have technology, and know how to use it, that's a plus. But the compass will get you there when technology fails. In my prime, I located section corners in northern Idaho with a hand compass and pacing. 500 yards, +/- is very doable for most experienced hunters.

littlewhaler likes this.
  7. skipglo

skipglo Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

The thermal game finders are not an optic...they have no site!

8. Reno1121

Reno1121 Member

Dropping a buck in his tracks doesn't solve the problem if he was standing in a sea of waist-high sagebrush. May even make it worse since there is no blood trail. Distant landmarks, range, and azimuth are the only non-tech ways to find a down buck.

9. Reno1121

Reno1121 Member

It's the same problem in sagebrush or pinon/juniper - no landmarks. Azimuth and range are the keys.

10. hera200

hera200 Active Member

ORANGE DUST, Is that really supposedly true or are you just putting us on about women and blood trails?....BUD (YES sometimes I do believe just about anything!)

11. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

No, It's very true. Has to do with the rods and cones in your eye. Men and women are different. Forget which does which but men have more of one that lets us see better at night, but washes out color. We more or less see in black and white in low light. Women are just the opposite. They see vivid color and see very poorly in the dark. Get a good light and take a girl bloodtrailing, you will be amazed. Almost as good as a dog, after they get a little experience and know what to look for. This is a medical fact, not an old wives tale.

hera200 likes this.
  12. Orange Dust

My wife can see blood standing up that I have to get on my hands and knees to find. Day or night.

13. Orange Dust

Here is another tip some of you may not know. If you are following a sorry blood trail and lose blood, look for Daddy longleggs spiders if you are in a part of the country that they exist. They will go to even the tiniest spot of blood and feed. Can save the day sometimes.

Weaselthis likes this.
  14. hera200

hera200 Active Member

WELL DURN IT ORANGE DUST, I really can learn something new every day! .....BUD