Advice on bino/RF combo

gebhardt02

I am looking for some solid advice on which of these three units will give better readings on smaller targets. The new Bushnell 1 mile ARC, Leica Geovids (old style) or Zeiss Victory RF binos. I think all three will have decent enough optical quality that I'm not worried about that. Mostly I'm looking for a very good bino LRF combo that will range small targets the easiest and furthest. I'm willing to spend around $2K and I can find all of these within my budget, obviously the cheaper the better though. I've not had the chance to play with either of these units yet so hands on experience is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Geb

I have the leica geovids and my buddy has the zeiss, his ranges further, most i can get out of mine is 1400 on a good day. normal hunting conditions they are neck and neck. The zeiss are quite a bit bulkier.... its a coin flip in my opinion between those two.

I would get the new leica hd-b units that are yet to be released. the bushnell I would not get because the optics are along the lines of a $100 chinese binocular.

I'd heard that the color rendition in the new 1 mile ARC has been corrected and the image isn't bad at all. I'm sure the Bushnell isn't in the same league as the Leica or Zeiss, but as long as it isn't completely jacked up I think it'll be fine. I'm more interested in getting reliable readings out past 1K but in a decent bino/LRF combo. I'll keep your thoughts in mind though, I'm leaning toward the zeiss right now anyway but would like to hear more feedback. Thank you.

Geb

I was able to compare the new Bushnells along side the Leica yesterday. The Bushnell actually had pretty decent optics but the Leica were brighter and seemed to have better clarity. The Bushnells would be perfectly adequate though. One interesting thing the sales rep told me, apparently from the Bushnell literature, was that the new one mile ARC's would only range deer out to 400 yds and only highly reflective targets at 1600. Outside, I wasn't able to get much distance, only 700 some yards to buildings but I liked the Leica display better.

Does anybody else have any experience with the Zeiss?

Geb

I was able to compare the new Bushnells along side the Leica yesterday. The Bushnell actually had pretty decent optics but the Leica were brighter and seemed to have better clarity. The Bushnells would be perfectly adequate though. One interesting thing the sales rep told me, apparently from the Bushnell literature, was that the new one mile ARC's would only range deer out to 400 yds and only highly reflective targets at 1600. Outside, I wasn't able to get much distance, only 700 some yards to buildings but I liked the Leica display better.

Does anybody else have any experience with the Zeiss?

Geb

There is no way the Bushy is even close to the Leica. I have looked through many Arcs and the optics are trash.
Look through the Bushnell for an hour then get back to me...Bring your Aspirin.

I was only looking through the new 1 mile ARC's and honestly thought the optics would be fine for my purposes. Yes, the Leica were superior optically, that was easily observed, but in my opinion the Bushnell weren't exactly trash. I didn't look through them for an hour though, so I can't comment on eye fatigue or strain.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.