Advice on barrel purchase

G

I have the opportunity to purchase a K&P 2" diameter 30cal S/S barrel with a 1 in 9 twist that will finish at 34". It is a brand new blank and the guy is wanting $300 for it. Would it be worth buying and having it turned down to 1.5"? If so does anyone have any idea what it would cost to turn it down?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Wayne

[ 03-23-2003: Message edited by: Wayne McD ]

Why not just buy the diameter barrel you really want? It will probably be less in the end.

Frank D

It will cost you $100-180 depending on who does it. Plus with a 30 and 1-9 twist you have one bullet, the sierra 240. 95% of people shooting the 240s even then use 1-10 twist.

Recommend spend the money on getting what you want. Second when you order, strongly consider a tapered barrel. Better balance, and many think that they are easier to tune than straight blanks.

BH

Thanks guys,especially BH for the tip on getting the tapered barrel for tuning reasons. I'll pass on this one.
Wayne

I think it's just overstabilized is what is meant. It should work fine until you get way out there, this is where I understand the problem with the bullet failing to nose over and lead the bullets path, instead the nose stays high and drag is induced and a number of other thing start to negatively affect bullet trajectory and predictability etc. This is said to be more of a problem if the bullets high point in trajectory arc is quite high though. Your better over stable than under in any case.

MH, I know you're having good luck already but here is a good article you might read, part of it's stabilization in flight.
smile.gif

http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/art1.htm

[ 03-25-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Not true abut only using the 240's.I have a 1-9 in .300 win mag and get sub 1/2 moa groups with tuned loads down to 190gr. spbt's. Sierra tells me the 1-9 will stabilize the 165's but I havent gone down there. I hunt with mostly 200gr. spbt and target shoot with the 220 and 240 matchking.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.