Advice on a new 25.06 mainly for deer

I shoot 117 grain Hornady SSTs out of my Savage 116 weather warrior in 25-06 and it straight up crushes deer. I would say even on a bad day it shoots 3/4 groups at 100 yards and trust me, I am not the best shot. The gun outshoots me all day long. They aren't the prettiest guns but hard to beat Savage for accuracy. I don't think I would go with the used Remington just because you don't know how many rounds they have shot or if they shot with the barrel hot a bunch of times. You definitely risk possibly having to rebarrel it. 1st choice would be Savage storm and 2nd would be Tikka (gotta love that Tikka action)

Last edited:
I have an X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 7mm-mag and it's my main hunting rig. It's the older Duratouch coating (or whatever they called it) and I like it quite a lot. I have a Browning Silver 12ga auto (my main waterfowl gun) with the same coating and its great in snotty, nasty conditions- the grip just works well for me. That reason led me to try the X-Bolt with the same thing.

That being said some people are very vocal that they hate the coating, and I think Browning has since changed the coating / stock slightly so if you haven't handled one- do so. In any event mine is exceptionally accurate and prints 5 shot groups (handloads) like this all day long.

Ag9Jww3.jpg

I know 3 other guys with X-Bolts, 2 of them Hells Canyon Speeds. All report similar accuracy.

I have an X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 7mm-mag and it's my main hunting rig. It's the older Duratouch coating (or whatever they called it) and I like it quite a lot. I have a Browning Silver 12ga auto (my main waterfowl gun) with the same coating and its great in snotty, nasty conditions- the grip just works well for me. That reason led me to try the X-Bolt with the same thing.

That being said some people are very vocal that they hate the coating, and I think Browning has since changed the coating / stock slightly so if you haven't handled one- do so. In any event mine is exceptionally accurate and prints 5 shot groups (handloads) like this all day long.

Ag9Jww3.jpg

I know 3 other guys with X-Bolts, 2 of them Hells Canyon Speeds. All report similar accuracy.
I have a Hells Canyon Speed in 6.8 western and love the coating on the stock. That was my favorite part about it. I also love the recoil hawg muzzlebrake. Makes the 6.8 barely move when I shoot it.

All you mentioned are good rifles. I am very partial to button rifled barrels if I can get them. I have some phenomenal shooting hammer forged, and overall rifle to rifle button rifled have been more accurate. For me if cost (in your range) didn't matter I would go with Browning, Savage, Weatherby, Remington. I might swap the Rem and Wby order. I don't know how old the 700 is, and the last ones I loaded for were in early 2000's. Before 2000 even my new 700's shot well. The two in early 200's were exact same gun in same caliber. One was defective and Remington would not fix, so I had to pay a gunsmith to put in a M16 mini. I'm done with Remington unless I can shoot the rifle and know what it can do and I can get it for super cheap. I would never buy a used rifle without being able to handle it, shoot it, inspect it, or I knew it very well. Let us know what you get and how it shoots

I wound up getting a Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06 with a 24" barrel. I also picked up a Vortex Venom in 5 x 25 with MOA reticle. Heard good things about them (I know, made in China). Have 3 other, all Leupold. My only issue with the rifle is it is not a bull/heavy barrel. Not a problem hunting, but I'll need to take care when on the bench. I have read that trigger adjustment is pretty simple on the Weatherby, so I'm gonna play around with that. Got to get it mounted up and to the range.
I definitely want to try the hammer bullet, but I'll reload several different grains and see what she likes.

Loaded up some 115 bergers with h4350 for a 22" Tikka, got around 3150 fps. Same load in a 26" rebarreled 25-06 700 ran 3300 fps.

That ought to do a number on these south Alabama whitetails!

Anyone got a 25-06 load for hogs?
A friend shot an aprx 170lb whitetail buck from the Tikka @ 3150mv. I don't know the distance but it was under 200yds. Buck was quartering towards my friend. Bullet went in on the point of the shoulder, made about a 2.5" hole coming into chest cavity. Destroyed lungs. Deer went down right there. Instant kill. I'm still waiting on deer terminal performance feedback with the 3300 fps load.