Advice on a new 25.06 mainly for deer

Moondoggie

I'm wanting and have been wanting a 25.06 for years. Now's the time! Have a budget (700-1000) because a quality scope will add to it significantly. Would you guys go Weatherby Vanguard (in stock), Browning x-bolt (Out of stock, but shouldn't be a long wait), or a used older Remington 700 (can be found around different websites). Or maybe another brand I'm overlooking like a Savage etc. Mainly will hunt deer and hogs, with the occasional coyote and target thrown in.

Either of the three rifles will serve you well. It comes down to personal preference and budget. Whatever you decide your scope is the deciding factor. You'll need to a quality optics and that won't be an easy task.

When I worked at the LGS one of our customers bought a TC Compass .300WM for around $300. He went through a divorce and had to part ways with lots of stuff for cash to pay bills. He was very short on money. So he paired it up with a Leupold VX-5HD 4-16-44 for a deer/hog hunt.

Most people would rather blow off a deer season or two than be caught with a $300 TC Compass rifle. About a month after the season ended he came back with photos and a whole new appreciation for the TC Compass. He's become a believer that you don't need to blow a wad of cash to buy a rifle that works.

My first rifle I bought back in the mid 80s was Remington 700 ADL .30-06 plain walnut stock. It was the least expensive rifle they had. I had a plain Leupold Vari X-II 3-9x40 mounted on it. My buddies teased and even bullied me about my rifle/scope for years. I went shoulder to shoulder with them and brought home as much freezer meat as they did at a fraction of what they spent.

Used prices are likely to be much higher due to the scamdemic, continued riots and shortages. You might pay a lot more for a used rifle as you would for a new one two years ago.

If you can find a used one at a range they might allow you to shoot before you buy. That could easily help you make up your mind.

Weatherby vangard a friend of mine has one and very accurate also try Nosler partions in 100 grain for whitetail deer! I personally like the 100 grain over the heavier bullets!!! In the 25-06 speed kill!!!

I would go with a Rem 700. Lots of after market stuff for it. But either rifle will work. Since you will be reloading, try the 92gr Hammer. I am pushing them in my 25-06 at 3550 fps with RL23.

All three are great shooters. Just stay away from the models with all the plastic, especially plastic stocks. I have two Vanguards which shoot quite accurately, but without the plastic parts. My son's 25-06 is the last rifle he would ever give up.

As was said earlier, all three are good choices. I have the X bolt in a left hand that is a good shooter. If I were you I'd try to stick with at least a 24" barrel. The 25-06 is still my favorite deer gun after 32 years.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of those choices. If you can try to put hands on all of them and see which fits you the best, or that you like the feeling of the best.

I'm wanting and have been wanting a 25.06 for years. Now's the time! Have a budget (700-1000) because a quality scope will add to it significantly. Would you guys go Weatherby Vanguard (in stock), Browning x-bolt (Out of stock, but shouldn't be a long wait), or a used older Remington 700 (can be found around different websites). Or maybe another brand I'm overlooking like a Savage etc. Mainly will hunt deer and hogs, with the occasional coyote and target thrown in.
I prefer Remington but all will work. Load a good 100 grain bullet with IMR4831 and go hunting! The 25-06 is an amazing cartridge.

I had a good load worked up in my Remington with Nosler 110 Accubonds. It also liked 117 Hornady SST's

Tikka/sako, Weatherby, or a Savage. Those would be what I would look for, as far as accuracy goes and in that order.